Which shell / terminaltype for SSH Tectia for Windows? - SSH

This is a discussion on Which shell / terminaltype for SSH Tectia for Windows? - SSH ; This may be a newbie question, but the SSH.COM knowledge base doesn't give me an answer, my one-year-support at SSH.COM has expired, so I hope somebody on this group can help. My remote Windows2003 server runs SSH Tectia 4.05 Server. ...

  1. Which shell / terminaltype for SSH Tectia for Windows?

    This may be a newbie question, but the SSH.COM knowledge base doesn't give
    me an answer, my one-year-support at SSH.COM has expired, so I hope somebody
    on this group can help.

    My remote Windows2003 server runs SSH Tectia 4.05 Server. I connect from XP
    using putty 0.58 or the SSH non-commercial client version 3.2.9. I want my
    ssh-connection to behave as a CMD command-prompt started from Windows. This
    is my ssh welcoming text
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\sshuser1>

    Typing "telnet localhost 25" at the command line, launches something
    somewhere on the server. But I just can't see it. My prompt immediately
    returns to "C:\Documents and Settings\sshuser1>" instead of showing me the
    telnet output. On unix I would see the telnet output.
    A similar issue is the command "vim.exe", which hangs my ssh-session, the
    output from vim is not shown to me, but the keyboard input is sent to a
    invisible vim-session, and enables me to quit vim and return to the ssh
    window. Vim outputs "Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal".

    Q: How can I configure Tectia (or the ssh client) to show me the output? (My
    "Terminal provider"-setting in Tectia is the default, "cmd.exe", putty
    settings are default)

    Best regards
    Peter

  2. Re: Which shell / terminaltype for SSH Tectia for Windows?

    Peter Juuls wrote:
    > This may be a newbie question, but the SSH.COM knowledge base doesn't
    > give me an answer, my one-year-support at SSH.COM has expired, so I
    > hope somebody on this group can help.
    >
    > My remote Windows2003 server runs SSH Tectia 4.05 Server. I connect
    > from XP using putty 0.58 or the SSH non-commercial client version
    > 3.2.9. I want my ssh-connection to behave as a CMD command-prompt
    > started from Windows. This is my ssh welcoming text
    > Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\sshuser1>
    >
    > Typing "telnet localhost 25" at the command line, launches something
    > somewhere on the server. But I just can't see it. My prompt
    > immediately returns to "C:\Documents and Settings\sshuser1>" instead
    > of showing me the telnet output. On unix I would see the telnet
    > output.

    Port 25? That's the SMTP port, for email, not the port for SSH. I suspect
    you want port 22.

    > A similar issue is the command "vim.exe", which hangs my ssh-session,
    > the output from vim is not shown to me, but the keyboard input is
    > sent to a invisible vim-session, and enables me to quit vim and
    > return to the ssh window. Vim outputs "Vim: Warning: Output is not to
    > a terminal".

    Can you install OpenSSH on an alternative port and test with that?

    > Q: How can I configure Tectia (or the ssh client) to show me the
    > output? (My "Terminal provider"-setting in Tectia is the default,
    > "cmd.exe", putty settings are default)

    I don't know for Tectia, but you can easily install CygWin with the OpenSSH
    client and use "ssh -v" with as many -v's as you need to display as much as
    possible of the connection.

  3. Re: Which shell / terminaltype for SSH Tectia for Windows?

    Hi Nico,

    You got me wrong.
    My setup:
    - Client: XP running Putty
    - Server: Windows 2003 Server running SSH.COM Tectia 4.05 sshd server

    My problem:
    I start up Putty on my XP, connect to the remote server with ssh, log into
    Tectia, and see a shell, provided by the CMD.EXE program on the Windows 2003
    Server. This shell does not look and feel the way I want it to. Now, I
    cannot execute commands, that clears the screen, among these "vim.exe" and
    "telnet localhost 25". I want a shell, just like the one I start from
    Start-> Run-> CMD.EXE locally on the Windows 2003 server.

    My question:
    Can I configure Tectia or Putty or CMD.EXE to get the shell that I want?
    Should I use a different program instead of CMD.EXE?

    PS: I spend 3 hours trying to install openssh (cygwin-sshd) on Windows2003
    with no luck, the deamon wont start, keeps complaining that keys could not
    be read.

    Best regards
    Peter

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" skrev i en meddelelse
    news:m8OdnTQyR4wnuSzZnZ2dnUVZ_uqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Peter Juuls wrote:
    >> This may be a newbie question, but the SSH.COM knowledge base doesn't
    >> give me an answer, my one-year-support at SSH.COM has expired, so I
    >> hope somebody on this group can help.
    >>
    >> My remote Windows2003 server runs SSH Tectia 4.05 Server. I connect
    >> from XP using putty 0.58 or the SSH non-commercial client version
    >> 3.2.9. I want my ssh-connection to behave as a CMD command-prompt
    >> started from Windows. This is my ssh welcoming text
    >> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    >> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\sshuser1>
    >>
    >> Typing "telnet localhost 25" at the command line, launches something
    >> somewhere on the server. But I just can't see it. My prompt
    >> immediately returns to "C:\Documents and Settings\sshuser1>" instead
    >> of showing me the telnet output. On unix I would see the telnet
    >> output.

    > Port 25? That's the SMTP port, for email, not the port for SSH. I suspect
    > you want port 22.
    >
    >> A similar issue is the command "vim.exe", which hangs my ssh-session,
    >> the output from vim is not shown to me, but the keyboard input is
    >> sent to a invisible vim-session, and enables me to quit vim and
    >> return to the ssh window. Vim outputs "Vim: Warning: Output is not to
    >> a terminal".

    > Can you install OpenSSH on an alternative port and test with that?
    >
    >> Q: How can I configure Tectia (or the ssh client) to show me the
    >> output? (My "Terminal provider"-setting in Tectia is the default,
    >> "cmd.exe", putty settings are default)

    > I don't know for Tectia, but you can easily install CygWin with the
    > OpenSSH client and use "ssh -v" with as many -v's as you need to display
    > as much as possible of the connection.

+ Reply to Thread