automatically restoring putty ssh connections - SSH

This is a discussion on automatically restoring putty ssh connections - SSH ; are there any tools that work with putty to restore connections after the TCP level connection has been broken. For example, after a laptop has gone into suspend or hibernate and the WiFi link has been broken. Is there anything ...

  1. automatically restoring putty ssh connections

    are there any tools that work with putty to restore connections after
    the TCP level connection has been broken. For example, after a laptop
    has gone into suspend or hibernate and the WiFi link has been broken.
    Is there anything to automatically restore the ssh connections after
    the laptop returns to fully operational state?

  2. Re: automatically restoring putty ssh connections

    persistent wrote:
    > are there any tools that work with putty to restore connections after
    > the TCP level connection has been broken. For example, after a
    > laptop has gone into suspend or hibernate and the WiFi link has been
    > broken. Is there anything to automatically restore the ssh
    > connections after the laptop returns to fully operational state?

    Not really, but you can use something like "screen" on the server end to
    maintain usable getty's that can be reconnected to and keep your active work
    available.

  3. Re: automatically restoring putty ssh connections

    > persistent wrote:
    > > are there any tools that work with putty to restore connections after
    > > the TCP level connection has been broken. For example, after a
    > > laptop has gone into suspend or hibernate and the WiFi link has been
    > > broken. Is there anything to automatically restore the ssh
    > > connections after the laptop returns to fully operational state?

    > Not really, but you can use something like "screen" on the server end to
    > maintain usable getty's that can be reconnected to and keep your active work
    > available.

    Right. And, your processes will stay running even while you're
    disconnected.

    Automatic reconnection is already on the PuTTY wishlist, at
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s...nect-auto.html
    .. They put it under difficulty "fun", but priority low.

    --
    To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

  4. Re: automatically restoring putty ssh connections

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > persistent wrote:
    > > are there any tools that work with putty to restore connections after
    > > the TCP level connection has been broken. For example, after a
    > > laptop has gone into suspend or hibernate and the WiFi link has been
    > > broken. Is there anything to automatically restore the ssh
    > > connections after the laptop returns to fully operational state?

    > Not really, but you can use something like "screen" on the server end to
    > maintain usable getty's that can be reconnected to and keep your active work
    > available.

    thought so. I knew about screen but need to figure out how to make all
    magic character (i.e. ^a) trapping go away, and pass term resizing info
    to end app,

    --- eric

+ Reply to Thread