OpenSSH return codes (ssh/sftp/scp) - SSH

This is a discussion on OpenSSH return codes (ssh/sftp/scp) - SSH ; Hi, After searchng for a few hours I give up. It seems almost impossibe to find the meaning of the exit codes for the ssh/sftp/scp binaries for OpenSSH. Is there anyone who can supply me with this? I need it ...

  1. OpenSSH return codes (ssh/sftp/scp)

    Hi,

    After searchng for a few hours I give up. It seems almost impossibe to
    find the meaning of the exit codes for the ssh/sftp/scp binaries for
    OpenSSH.

    Is there anyone who can supply me with this? I need it for my automated
    tasks.

    Thanks for making my day! ;-)

    Regards,
    Mark

  2. Re: OpenSSH return codes (ssh/sftp/scp)

    huijstee@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > After searchng for a few hours I give up. It seems almost impossibe to
    > find the meaning of the exit codes for the ssh/sftp/scp binaries for
    > OpenSSH.
    >
    > Is there anyone who can supply me with this? I need it for my
    > automated tasks.
    >

    > Thanks for making my day! ;-)

    I'm sorry, I don't have the list. You could take a look at the source
    code.....

  3. Re: OpenSSH return codes (ssh/sftp/scp)

    huijstee wrote:

    > After searchng for a few hours I give up. It seems almost impossibe to
    > find the meaning of the exit codes for the ssh/sftp/scp binaries for
    > OpenSSH.
    >
    > Is there anyone who can supply me with this? I need it for my automated
    > tasks.

    sftp is an interactive command, so exit codes are irrelevant.

    The others, from their man page:

    ssh
    ssh exits with the exit status of the remote command or with 255
    if an
    error occurred.

    scp
    scp exits with 0 on success or >0 if an error occurred.

    Isn't that enough for your "automated tasks"?
    --
    René Berber

  4. Re: OpenSSH return codes (ssh/sftp/scp)

    RB> huijstee wrote:

    >> After searchng for a few hours I give up. It seems almost impossibe
    >> to find the meaning of the exit codes for the ssh/sftp/scp binaries
    >> for OpenSSH.
    >>
    >> Is there anyone who can supply me with this? I need it for my
    >> automated tasks.

    RB> sftp is an interactive command, so exit codes are irrelevant.

    $ man sftp
    -b batchfile
    Batch mode reads a series of commands from an input batchfile
    instead of stdin. Since it lacks user interaction...

    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread