Bad packet length error using SSH2 - SSH

This is a discussion on Bad packet length error using SSH2 - SSH ; We have downloaded the latest putty source code, 0.58 and are using it to connect to the ssh servers to gather data over the channel. When we use SSH2 protocol, while getting large data we randomly notice the 'bad packet ...

  1. Bad packet length error using SSH2

    We have downloaded the latest putty source code, 0.58 and are using it
    to connect to the ssh servers to gather data over the channel.
    When we use SSH2 protocol, while getting large data we randomly notice
    the 'bad packet length' error.
    However switching to SSH1 resolves the issue.

    Following logs were observed in syslog on a HP-UX B.11.11::
    Jun 23 03:48:39 tata sshd[26004]: Accepted password for root from
    172.31.78.48 port 2676 ssh2
    Jun 23 03:48:39 tata sshd[26004]: subsystem request for sftp
    Jun 23 03:48:39 tata sshd[26004]: subsystem request for sftp failed,
    subsystem not found
    Jun 23 03:49:21 tata sshd[26004]: Disconnecting: Bad packet length
    353662283

    There are several threads mentioning this issue, and i've tried a few
    recommendations (like disabling the SubSytem setting for sftp-server in
    sshd_config), however nothing has helped.

    Any pointers/leads to this would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanking in advance,
    Shilpa

  2. Re: Bad packet length error using SSH2

    Shilpa> We have downloaded the latest putty source code, 0.58 and are
    Shilpa> using it to connect to the ssh servers to gather data over the
    Shilpa> channel. When we use SSH2 protocol, while getting large data
    Shilpa> we randomly notice the 'bad packet length' error. However
    Shilpa> switching to SSH1 resolves the issue.

    Shilpa> Following logs were observed in syslog on a HP-UX B.11.11::
    Shilpa> Jun 23 03:48:39 tata sshd[26004]: Accepted password for root
    Shilpa> from 172.31.78.48 port 2676 ssh2 Jun 23 03:48:39 tata
    Shilpa> sshd[26004]: subsystem request for sftp Jun 23 03:48:39 tata
    Shilpa> sshd[26004]: subsystem request for sftp failed, subsystem not
    Shilpa> found Jun 23 03:49:21 tata sshd[26004]: Disconnecting: Bad
    Shilpa> packet length 353662283

    Shilpa> There are several threads mentioning this issue, and i've
    Shilpa> tried a few recommendations (like disabling the SubSytem
    Shilpa> setting for sftp-server in sshd_config), however nothing has
    Shilpa> helped.

    That would just make sftp unusable.

    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/sftp-corruption.auto.html

    --