ssh configuration - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh configuration - SSH ; When writing /etc/shosts.equiv, is it valid to use IP addresses instead of hostnames? +192.168.1.1 +192.168.1.2 .... Or better yet, is this supported: +192.168.1.0/24 In Windows, I have OpenSSH (Cygwin) and a commercial GUI client. I already have keys made with ...

  1. ssh configuration

    When writing /etc/shosts.equiv, is it valid to use IP addresses instead
    of hostnames?
    +192.168.1.1
    +192.168.1.2
    Or better yet, is this supported:
    +192.168.1.0/24

    In Windows, I have OpenSSH (Cygwin) and a commercial GUI client. I
    already have keys made with the latter. Is it ok to just copy them into
    ..ssh for OpenSSH to use, or should OpenSSH get its own key pair?

    --

  2. Re: ssh configuration

    > When writing /etc/shosts.equiv, is it valid to use IP addresses instead
    > of hostnames?
    > +192.168.1.1
    > +192.168.1.2

    Yes.

    > Or better yet, is this supported:
    > +192.168.1.0/24

    No.

    > In Windows, I have OpenSSH (Cygwin) and a commercial GUI client. I
    > already have keys made with the latter. Is it ok to just copy them into
    > .ssh for OpenSSH to use, or should OpenSSH get its own key pair?

    You may have to convert them to the right format, but sure, you can use
    the same keys.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: ssh configuration

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > You may have to convert them to the right format, but sure, you can
    > use the same keys.

    I copied them into Cygwin's $HOME/.ssh directory. Now whenever I try to
    ssh to the Linux system, I'm asked to type my passphrase. It works, but
    it's hard to get it typed in time. My Linux sshd only allows 30 seconds
    for logins.

    --

  4. Re: ssh configuration

    Thanks for the 2 quick answers. I used ssh -v and then Googled the
    error message. After following an archived thread, I eventually reached
    http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/...3-01/0292.html
    which had the key (no pun intended).

    I read the man page and did a simple eval `ssh-agent -s` and then a
    ssh-add. And now ssh lets me in without typing a pass[word|phrase].