white list root access? - SSH

This is a discussion on white list root access? - SSH ; Is it possible to have a more fine grained method of allowing root access via ssh other than on or off? I'd love to be able to give a white list of "allowed" ip addresses that someone can ssh to ...

  1. white list root access?

    Is it possible to have a more fine grained method of allowing root
    access via ssh other than on or off? I'd love to be able to give a
    white list of "allowed" ip addresses that someone can ssh to root, but
    I don't see how to do that. Am I correct that "on" or "off" are my
    only choices?

  2. Re: white list root access?

    Greg Hennessy wrote:

    > Is it possible to have a more fine grained method of allowing root
    > access via ssh other than on or off?

    Yes.

    > I'd love to be able to give a
    > white list of "allowed" ip addresses that someone can ssh to root, but
    > I don't see how to do that. Am I correct that "on" or "off" are my
    > only choices?

    I use:

    AllowUsers root@sparky

    in sshd_config. See the man page.