When SSH stalls... - SSH

This is a discussion on When SSH stalls... - SSH ; Curious if there is a config option for my wee problem. My SSH connections stall if there no activity for a few minutes. Usually I give it some keyboard input every few minutes to keep the connection alive, but sometimes ...

  1. When SSH stalls...

    Curious if there is a config option for my wee problem. My SSH connections
    stall if there no activity for a few minutes. Usually I give it some keyboard
    input every few minutes to keep the connection alive, but sometimes I forget
    - and it stalls... eventually timing out. It's more likely to stall the more
    hops I am away. I travel alot.

    Is that what TCPKeepAlive in sshd_config is for? That option seems to be
    defaulting to 'no' nowadays...
    --
    Quel-y is bangpath(at)sent.as ... remove NOSPAM when e-mailing a reply

  2. Re: When SSH stalls...

    Quel-y> Curious if there is a config option for my wee problem. My SSH
    Quel-y> connections stall if there no activity for a few
    Quel-y> minutes. Usually I give it some keyboard input every few
    Quel-y> minutes to keep the connection alive, but sometimes I forget -
    Quel-y> and it stalls... eventually timing out. It's more likely to
    Quel-y> stall the more hops I am away. I travel alot.

    Quel-y> Is that what TCPKeepAlive in sshd_config is for? That option
    Quel-y> seems to be defaulting to 'no' nowadays...

    No; use ServerAliveInterval instead.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: When SSH stalls...

    "Richard E. Silverman" wrote:

    > Quel-y> Is that what TCPKeepAlive in sshd_config is for? That option
    > Quel-y> seems to be defaulting to 'no' nowadays...
    >
    > No; use ServerAliveInterval instead.

    Thanks, that did the trick in my client config. Nice.
    --
    Quel-y is bangpath(at)sent.as ... remove NOSPAM when e-mailing a reply

+ Reply to Thread