remote editor - SSH

This is a discussion on remote editor - SSH ; Hi group, when I work an a remote server, which has no x11, I usually use vi to edit scripts. Now I was thinking, if there is any comfortable - and of course safe - way to edit a script ...

  1. remote editor

    Hi group,

    when I work an a remote server, which has no x11, I usually use vi to edit
    scripts.

    Now I was thinking, if there is any comfortable - and of course safe - way
    to edit a script which is stored on a remote server, in a local x11 editor
    like kate (kde) or emacs, without copying it manually. I wonder if this is
    possible using ssh?

    Do yo have any idea?

    Best Regards,

    Oliver

  2. Re: remote editor

    Oliver Block writes:
    >when I work an a remote server, which has no x11, I usually use vi to edit
    >scripts.

    >Now I was thinking, if there is any comfortable - and of course safe - way
    >to edit a script which is stored on a remote server, in a local x11 editor
    >like kate (kde) or emacs, without copying it manually. I wonder if this is
    >possible using ssh?

    Use X11 tunneled over ssh, and runup emacs server-start on your
    workstation's emacs, and emacsclient on the remote side.

  3. Re: remote editor

    In article <4eounhF1fagdgU1@news.dfncis.de> Oliver Block
    writes:

    >Now I was thinking, if there is any comfortable - and of course safe - way
    >to edit a script which is stored on a remote server, in a local x11 editor
    >like kate (kde) or emacs, without copying it manually. I wonder if this is
    >possible using ssh?

    You can google for "emacs ange-ftp ssh" - apparently there are a couple
    of third-party solutions to make emacs' "builtin" ange-ftp (which allows
    for mostly transparently editing remote files via ftp) use ssh instead
    (I haven't tried any of them). I even came across an excerpt from the
    emacs manual that said that ssh would be "builtin" and even used by
    default, but that's definitely not the case with my version of emacs at
    least (21.3.1).

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  4. Re: remote editor

    In article <448796e6$0$226$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.c om> Doug
    McIntyre writes:
    >Oliver Block writes:
    >>when I work an a remote server, which has no x11, I usually use vi to edit
    >>scripts.

    >>Now I was thinking, if there is any comfortable - and of course safe - way
    >>to edit a script which is stored on a remote server, in a local x11 editor
    >>like kate (kde) or emacs, without copying it manually. I wonder if this is
    >>possible using ssh?

    >Use X11 tunneled over ssh, and runup emacs server-start on your
    >workstation's emacs, and emacsclient on the remote side.

    Hm, I'm not aware of a possibility to run emacs server and emacsclient
    on different hosts - don't you mean that both emacs and emacsclient
    should be run on the remote side? Or otherwise why the need for
    tunneling X11 (which would only be used by emacs server)?

    Anyway doing this (both remote) is a good solution I think, given
    reasonable bandwidth/throughput on the connection, and I use it all the
    time. The emacs startup over tunneled X11 is fairly slow, but actual
    usage is OK, and server+emacsclient gets rid of the need for a startup
    for every editing session.

    However Oliver wrote that the remote "has no X11", which may make it a
    non-option - you surely don't need a complete X11 installation, let
    alone stuff like Gnome/KDE, but you do need the basic X11 libraries (and
    of course an emacs built to use them).

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  5. Re: remote editor

    On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:28:04 +0200, Oliver Block wrote:
    > when I work an a remote server, which has no x11, I usually use vi to edit
    > scripts.
    >
    > Now I was thinking, if there is any comfortable - and of course safe - way
    > to edit a script which is stored on a remote server, in a local x11 editor
    > like kate (kde) or emacs, without copying it manually. I wonder if this is
    > possible using ssh?

    You are a vi user so you must know about vim?

    Vim has exactly what you want built in. It can read/edit remote host
    files directly over scp/rcp/ftp/http/rsync/sftp etc. Set ":help netrw"
    from within vim.

  6. Re: remote editor

    mark wrote:
    > You are a vi user so you must know about vim?

    I am more that "vi file| i | nyy | ndd | :r | :w | :x"
    kind of vi user.:-)

    Thanks for that hint.

    Best Regards,

    Oliver

  7. Re: remote editor

    Per Hedeland wrote:

    > However Oliver wrote that the remote "has no X11", which may make it a
    > non-option - you surely don't need a complete X11 installation, let
    > alone stuff like Gnome/KDE, but you do need the basic X11 libraries (and
    > of course an emacs built to use them).

    Actually the server (webspace) has not x11 my box has x11 with KDesktop. If
    you call this "remote" it has no x11.

    Best Regards,

    Oliver

  8. Re: remote editor

    On 2006-06-07 23:28:04 +0200, Oliver Block said:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > when I work an a remote server, which has no x11, I usually use vi to edit
    > scripts.
    >
    > Now I was thinking, if there is any comfortable - and of course safe - way
    > to edit a script which is stored on a remote server, in a local x11 editor
    > like kate (kde) or emacs, without copying it manually. I wonder if this is
    > possible using ssh?
    >
    > Do yo have any idea?

    If you're a mac user, you can give BBEdit a try, or use ange ftp over
    ssh with emacs.

    --
    Sensei

    The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.
    The pessimist fears it is true. [J. Robert Oppenheimer]

  9. Re: remote editor

    In article <4eqnf4F1fcbd4U2@news.dfncis.de> Oliver Block
    writes:
    >Per Hedeland wrote:
    >
    >> However Oliver wrote that the remote "has no X11", which may make it a
    >> non-option - you surely don't need a complete X11 installation, let
    >> alone stuff like Gnome/KDE, but you do need the basic X11 libraries (and
    >> of course an emacs built to use them).

    >Actually the server (webspace) has not x11 my box has x11 with KDesktop. If
    >you call this "remote" it has no x11.

    Yes - actually it was you that called it "remote" - from your original
    post:

    >>>when I work an a remote server, which has no x11, [...]

    - but I would call it remote too:-) (i.e. you connect with ssh from your
    local box to a remote box).

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

+ Reply to Thread