Bypass firewall - SSH

This is a discussion on Bypass firewall - SSH ; Hi! I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy setting to connect to an smtp server. I can type in smtp commands in the putty window and it work great, but is it possible for ...

  1. Bypass firewall

    Hi!

    I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy
    setting to connect to an smtp server. I can type in smtp commands in
    the putty window and it work great, but is it possible for me to
    somehow connect my thunderbird client to putty so that I can use my
    mailclient to send my mails instead.

    BR
    Andreas

  2. Re: Bypass firewall

    wrote in message
    news:1149247749.277644.307840@h76g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy
    > setting to connect to an smtp server. I can type in smtp commands in
    > the putty window and it work great, but is it possible for me to
    > somehow connect my thunderbird client to putty so that I can use my
    > mailclient to send my mails instead.

    Look up port forwarding for Putty and SSH. You should be able to forward
    port 25 on your local machine to port 25 on the SMTP server without too much
    grief.

  3. Re: Bypass firewall

    andreasfriis@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy
    > setting to connect to an smtp server. I can type in smtp commands in
    > the putty window and it work great, but is it possible for me to
    > somehow connect my thunderbird client to putty so that I can use my
    > mailclient to send my mails instead.

    Yes.

    Tools - Options - General - Connection Settings. From there enter the
    settings of your proxy server. If using ssh -D, the server would be
    127.0.0.1 (localhost will not work).

  4. Re: Bypass firewall

    http://www.buzzsurf.com/surfatwork/

    wrote in message
    news:1149247749.277644.307840@h76g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy
    > setting to connect to an smtp server. I can type in smtp commands in
    > the putty window and it work great, but is it possible for me to
    > somehow connect my thunderbird client to putty so that I can use my
    > mailclient to send my mails instead.
    >
    > BR
    > Andreas

  5. Re: Bypass firewall

    Mike Lowery wrote:
    > http://www.buzzsurf.com/surfatwork/
    >
    > wrote in message
    > news:1149247749.277644.307840@h76g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    >>Hi!
    >>
    >>I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy
    >>setting to connect to an smtp server. I can type in smtp commands in
    >>the putty window and it work great, but is it possible for me to
    >>somehow connect my thunderbird client to putty so that I can use my
    >>mailclient to send my mails instead.
    >>
    >>BR
    >>Andreas

    Mike,

    This sounds like a simple port forwarding issue.

    From the Putty configuration window goto:
    Connection=>SSH=>Tunnels

    In the "Add new Forwarded port:" enter these ports:
    Source ports:
    25 (smtp traffic for sendinf mail)
    110 (pop3 for recieving mail)

    destination would be 127.0.0.1 if the machine your connecting to is the mail server.
    Otherwise enter the IP address of the mail server in the destination box.

    With these settings in place open a putty session as you did before and try using Thunderbird.

    Note Thunderbird will need to be configured to uses an SMTP server at 127.0.0.1 and a pop3
    server at 127.0.0.1.

    (127.0.0.1 is the local host.)

+ Reply to Thread