looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer) - SSH

This is a discussion on looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer) - SSH ; I am looking for software that will allow an external computer user (on the internet) to be able to put my IP address in his browser's proxy settings, so his http requests go through my computer, and my computer's IP ...

  1. looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    I am looking for software that will allow an external computer user (on
    the internet) to be able to put my IP address in his browser's proxy
    settings, so his http requests go through my computer, and my
    computer's IP address is what the destination sees. I want a password
    to be required to use the proxy server, and otherwise any IP address
    can use it. The password needs to be encryped - I don't care if the
    stuff after that is enctypted or not. The software only needs to be
    able to handle one external connection. The proxy software should not
    give itself away (environmental variables passed on). My OS is Windows
    XP. A small, simple software package is what I'm looking for.

    This is basically what the https "high anonymity" proxy servers do (I
    believe) - except for the password.

    I downloaded ezProxy hoping it would do this. Apparently it doesn't
    handle making connections with computers on the internet - and just
    works with an existing LAN, or with other software that handles the
    connection to the client computer. I also don't know if ezProxy gives
    away the fact that it's running, as that isn't mentioned in the
    documentation (and I can't test it as it doesn't appear to make the
    connections...). (Maybe XP will make this type of connection? I know it
    has some built in networking - but I only know of that working with LAN
    cards.)

    The home computer is on a cable modem, and the IP address is static,
    and pings work (if I set my firewall to allow that) - so I should be
    able to do this. I am not interested in "remote desktop" stuff - I just
    want to pass on/return http requests.

    I would prefer to not have to install some bulky package with lots of
    extra features - like OpenSSH w/Cygwin - if that will even do what I
    want (I know it secures ftp and pop3 connections...)

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    squid

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:
    > squid
    >
    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > res@qoxp.net

    Gees. I hope that isn't the simplest thing out there to accomplish this
    simple task. I looked at the docs. Win XP is not fully supported - it
    says transparent proxy wasn't even ported, and lists a lot of other
    issues.

    I can almost do what I want with Privoxy. It can accept connections
    from an external port and pass the web page request (in this case) on.
    It doesn't encrypt anything, though, and has no option to require
    passwords for port access. The only thing I want is an encrypted
    password to be passed - I don't care about encryption after that.

  4. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    Well, here's one solution using SSH: both OpenSSH and PuTTY can act as a
    SOCKS5 proxy. E.g.:

    A$ ssh -D 1080 B

    listens on localhost:1080 on A. You set your web browser to use that
    socket as a SOCKS5 proxy (most browsers support this); all connections TCP
    connections the browser wants to make then go through the SSH tunnel and
    are actually made by the remote host B. Two issues:

    1) The SSH SOCKS5 proxy does not support authentication. However, you
    have to authenticate to establish the SSH connection, so you get the
    same effect.

    2) SOCKS5 supports DNS names as well as IP addresses, but not all browsers
    take advantage of this. If your browser doesn't, then information
    about your browsing is leaked locally by the DNS lookups you issue.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  5. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:
    > Well, here's one solution using SSH: both OpenSSH and PuTTY can act as a
    > SOCKS5 proxy. E.g.:
    >
    > A$ ssh -D 1080 B
    >
    > listens on localhost:1080 on A. You set your web browser to use that
    > socket as a SOCKS5 proxy (most browsers support this); all connections TCP
    > connections the browser wants to make then go through the SSH tunnel and
    > are actually made by the remote host B. Two issues:

    Well, I didn't include all the details. The problem with using a SOCKS
    proxy is that the client computer will be connecting to the remote
    proxy server using TOR. TOR uses a chain of SOCKS proxies, but the
    final one requires an http connection. The browser points to Privoxy
    which forwards/SOCKS4a to TOR. Privoxy optionally defines an http proxy
    server & port that the final TOR server would talk to - this would be
    my remote http proxy server - IF I can just get it to require a
    password - preferably encrypted. (Running TOR as a server on the remote
    computer as the last hop in the TOR chain is not an option.)

    In your example, what's running on B? Another copy of PuTTY? What's the
    command on B?

    I was wondering if I could run Privoxy on the remote computer (http for
    the incoming TOR connection), and forward/SOCKS the data to PuTTY. But
    Privoxy doesn't support SOCKS5. I don't know if that would work anyway.
    Is there something similiar to Privoxy that supports SOCKS5 - if that
    would work? (You can use Privoxy as an OPEN proxy server, by telling it
    to listen to any IP address on a specific port (other than 80). Privoxy
    can forward/SOCKS4a - but not SOCKS5.)

    I searched Google and came upon a description of exactly what your
    suggesting (not how to do it), which stated "it's a better alternative
    than a passworded remote proxy server, or worse, an open proxy server."
    If just I find out *HOW* to set up a "passworded remote proxy server!!"
    - I'd be perfectly happy with that. I do prefer the password was
    encrypted.

  6. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    david_l@mail.com wrote:
    > I am looking for software that will allow an external computer user (on
    > the internet) to be able to put my IP address in his browser's proxy
    > settings, so his http requests go through my computer, and my
    > computer's IP address is what the destination sees. I want a password
    > to be required to use the proxy server, and otherwise any IP address
    > can use it. The password needs to be encryped - I don't care if the
    > stuff after that is enctypted or not. The software only needs to be
    > able to handle one external connection. The proxy software should not
    > give itself away (environmental variables passed on). My OS is Windows
    > XP. A small, simple software package is what I'm looking for.

    I anyone else was interested, I found two free packages that do this,
    Etlin HTTP Proxy, and 3Proxy.

  7. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from externalcomputer)

    david_l@mail.com wrote:

    > Well, I didn't include all the details. The problem with using a SOCKS
    > proxy is that the client computer will be connecting to the remote
    > proxy server using TOR. TOR uses a chain of SOCKS proxies, but the
    > final one requires an http connection.

    Sounds like someone really wants to cover their tracks.

    I'm curious. Why would anyone need to go through such measures to hide
    themselves? About the only thing I can think of is some dissident
    blogger in Iran or China, who wants to keep his or her head attached.

  8. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    Chuck wrote:
    > david_l@mail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I didn't include all the details. The problem with using a SOCKS
    > > proxy is that the client computer will be connecting to the remote
    > > proxy server using TOR. TOR uses a chain of SOCKS proxies, but the
    > > final one requires an http connection.

    > Sounds like someone really wants to cover their tracks.
    >
    > I'm curious. Why would anyone need to go through such measures to hide
    > themselves? About the only thing I can think of is some dissident
    > blogger in Iran or China, who wants to keep his or her head attached.

    Keeping one's head attached is a good thing

    I can think of some much more secure measures than this, if I was
    worrying about my head. TOR has a warning that it's still experimental
    and not to trust it for high security.

    There are many reasons for anonymous surfing. For example, apparently
    Google keeps tracks of where you've come from, and what you searched
    for - forever. Who knows what this might be used for some day.

    TOR is very reliable for anonymous surfing. The other free proxy
    servers come and go (daily). The stable free proxy sites are limited,
    and want you to pay for full services/use.

    The problem is that some sites are starting to use lists of known TOR
    exit servers, and are blocking them. Having a non-TOR proxy server at
    the end solves that problem.

  9. Re: looking for simple proxy s/w (to forward requests from external computer)

    DL> Richard E. Silverman wrote:
    >> Well, here's one solution using SSH: both OpenSSH and PuTTY can act
    >> as a SOCKS5 proxy. E.g.:
    >>
    >> A$ ssh -D 1080 B
    >>
    >> listens on localhost:1080 on A. You set your web browser to use
    >> that socket as a SOCKS5 proxy (most browsers support this); all
    >> connections TCP connections the browser wants to make then go
    >> through the SSH tunnel and are actually made by the remote host B.
    >> Two issues:
    >>

    DL> Well, I didn't include all the details. The problem with using a
    DL> SOCKS proxy is that the client computer will be connecting to the
    DL> remote proxy server using TOR. TOR uses a chain of SOCKS proxies,
    DL> but the final one requires an http connection. The browser
    DL> points to Privoxy which forwards/SOCKS4a to TOR. Privoxy
    DL> optionally defines an http proxy server & port that the final TOR
    DL> server would talk to - this would be my remote http proxy server
    DL> - IF I can just get it to require a password - preferably
    DL> encrypted. (Running TOR as a server on the remote computer as the
    DL> last hop in the TOR chain is not an option.)

    DL> In your example, what's running on B? Another copy of PuTTY?
    DL> What's the command on B?

    All that's running is an SSH server. There is no "command on B"; you want
    the connection for the side effect of establishing the proxy. The SSH
    server will make whatever TCP connections you need following the direction
    of the SOCKS proxy on the client side.

    DL> I was wondering if I could run Privoxy on the remote computer
    DL> (http for the incoming TOR connection), and forward/SOCKS the
    DL> data to PuTTY. But Privoxy doesn't support SOCKS5. I don't know
    DL> if that would work anyway. Is there something similiar to
    DL> Privoxy that supports SOCKS5 - if that would work? (You can use
    DL> Privoxy as an OPEN proxy server, by telling it to listen to any
    DL> IP address on a specific port (other than 80). Privoxy can
    DL> forward/SOCKS4a - but not SOCKS5.)

    DL> I searched Google and came upon a description of exactly what
    DL> your suggesting (not how to do it), which stated "it's a better
    DL> alternative than a passworded remote proxy server, or worse, an
    DL> open proxy server." If just I find out *HOW* to set up a
    DL> "passworded remote proxy server!!" - I'd be perfectly happy with
    DL> that. I do prefer the password was encrypted.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread