Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine? - SSH

This is a discussion on Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine? - SSH ; I've been tasked with setting up a SSH tunnel from an AIX machine to a WinXP machine. The network is set up like this: AIX machine | (PPP link) | Cisco router with PPP server | (ethernet) | WinXP machine ...

  1. Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine?

    I've been tasked with setting up a SSH tunnel from an AIX machine to a
    WinXP machine. The network is set up like this:

    AIX machine

    (PPP link)

    Cisco router with PPP server

    (ethernet)

    WinXP machine

    Every time the AIX machine connects to the Cisco router using PPP, I
    need a SSH tunnel to be automatically set up from the AIX machine to
    the WinXP machine. If all traffic could be encrypted with SSH, that
    would be great; if not, encrypting single ports would be OK too (we
    have a specific application that needs to communicate from the AIX
    machine to the WinXP machine, and encrypting that port alone would be
    sufficient).

    The AIX machine has OpenSSH installed.

    The WinXP machine has no SSH software that I'm aware of.

    So, my questions are:

    1) What software (preferably free) do I need on the WinXP machine?

    2) Are there any online resources (HOWTOs, etc) that could help?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine?

    Enfors wrote:
    > I've been tasked with setting up a SSH tunnel from an AIX machine to a
    > WinXP machine. The network is set up like this:
    >
    > AIX machine
    > |
    > (PPP link)
    > |
    > Cisco router with PPP server
    > |
    > (ethernet)
    > |
    > WinXP machine
    >
    > Every time the AIX machine connects to the Cisco router using PPP, I
    > need a SSH tunnel to be automatically set up from the AIX machine to
    > the WinXP machine. If all traffic could be encrypted with SSH, that
    > would be great; if not, encrypting single ports would be OK too (we
    > have a specific application that needs to communicate from the AIX
    > machine to the WinXP machine, and encrypting that port alone would be
    > sufficient).
    >
    > The AIX machine has OpenSSH installed.
    >
    > The WinXP machine has no SSH software that I'm aware of.
    >
    > So, my questions are:
    >
    > 1) What software (preferably free) do I need on the WinXP machine?
    >
    > 2) Are there any online resources (HOWTOs, etc) that could help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    COPssh for the the WinXP machine. It's a cygwin package that includes
    the necessary cygwin components to run sshd. You can download it from
    http://itefix.no/copssh

    You can also find some howto's and documentation on that site, but the
    pretty much configures itself.

    After it's installed just forward the port(s) you need.

  3. Re: Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine?

    Chuck wrote:
    > Enfors wrote:
    > > I've been tasked with setting up a SSH tunnel from an AIX machine to a
    > > WinXP machine. The network is set up like this:

    [snip]

    > > 1) What software (preferably free) do I need on the WinXP machine?
    > >
    > > 2) Are there any online resources (HOWTOs, etc) that could help?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >

    > COPssh for the the WinXP machine. It's a cygwin package that includes
    > the necessary cygwin components to run sshd. You can download it from
    > http://itefix.no/copssh

    Thanks! I'll take a look.

  4. Re: Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine?

    "Enfors" wrote in message
    news:1149059594.781205.165710@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...

    > Chuck wrote:
    >> Enfors wrote:
    >> > I've been tasked with setting up a SSH tunnel from an AIX machine to a
    >> > WinXP machine. The network is set up like this:

    > [snip]
    >
    >> > 1) What software (preferably free) do I need on the WinXP machine?
    >> >
    >> > 2) Are there any online resources (HOWTOs, etc) that could help?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance.
    >> >

    >> COPssh for the the WinXP machine. It's a cygwin package that includes
    >> the necessary cygwin components to run sshd. You can download it from
    >> http://itefix.no/copssh

    > Thanks! I'll take a look.

    Or just install Cygwin with the OpenSSH package instead of a repackage:
    http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

  5. Re: Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine?

    Mike Lowery wrote:
    > "Enfors" wrote in message
    > news:1149059594.781205.165710@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    >>Chuck wrote:

    >>[snip]

    >>>COPssh for the the WinXP machine. It's a cygwin package that includes
    >>>the necessary cygwin components to run sshd. You can download it from
    >>>http://itefix.no/copssh

    >>Thanks! I'll take a look.

    > Or just install Cygwin with the OpenSSH package instead of a repackage:
    > http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

    Guys,

    This is what the Secure VPN Gateway does.

    A 10 user verion is free.

    It gives you a easy to use web interface to configure the port forwarding rules and a
    client menu to pick the port forwarding rules to enable. All the ssh workings are taken
    care of for you.

    Here is a link to more information. The Secure VPN Download section has a link to the
    free 10 user version.
    http://www.ttc4it.co.nz/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

    Regards
    David Gempton

  6. Re: Tunnel from AIX machine to WinXP machine?

    Mike Lowery wrote:
    > "Enfors" wrote in message
    > news:1149059594.781205.165710@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Chuck wrote:

    >> [snip]

    >>> COPssh for the the WinXP machine. It's a cygwin package that includes
    >>> the necessary cygwin components to run sshd. You can download it from
    >>> http://itefix.no/copssh

    >> Thanks! I'll take a look.

    > Or just install Cygwin with the OpenSSH package instead of a repackage:
    > http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

    If you want the entire cygwin package that is. COPssh bundles only the
    necessary components and provides some very easy to use scripts for user
    administration. I'm sold on it. I have the full Cygwin pkg on my laptop
    at work, and just COPssh on my home PC.

+ Reply to Thread