Open multiple PuTTY windows simultaneously on MS-Windows - SSH

This is a discussion on Open multiple PuTTY windows simultaneously on MS-Windows - SSH ; I use PuTTY SSH terminal emulator on a MS-windows 2003 Server box to access multiple Linux/UNIX boxes. Sometimes I need to open 20 or more PuTTY windows at the same time. I would like to create one shortcut/.bat file that ...

  1. Open multiple PuTTY windows simultaneously on MS-Windows

    I use PuTTY SSH terminal emulator on a MS-windows 2003 Server box to
    access multiple Linux/UNIX boxes. Sometimes I need to open 20 or more
    PuTTY windows at the same time.

    I would like to create one shortcut/.bat file that would open all of
    the windows simultaneously. Double click it or execute one command from
    a prompt and "poof" 20 PuTTY windows appear...

    I can do this with CYGWIN by simply backgrounding the processes:

    putty.exe profile1 &
    putty.exe profile2 &

    Unfortunately the Windows box I need to use doesn't have CYGWIN
    installed.

    I have tried creating a .bat file with "putty.exe profilename" on
    separate lines, but that will create the windows serially (ie. I need
    to close the first window before the window comes up).

    I have searched and it appears MS-DOS doesn't support background. Any
    ideas?

    Extra credit is awarded if I can also position the windows where I want
    them. PuTTY lets me specify size, but not position...

    Thanks for any advice/help you can provide.

  2. Re: Open multiple PuTTY windows simultaneously on MS-Windows

    dwgoldfarb@hotmail.com writes:
    >I would like to create one shortcut/.bat file that would open all of
    >the windows simultaneously. Double click it or execute one command from
    >a prompt and "poof" 20 PuTTY windows appear...

    [...]
    >I have tried creating a .bat file with "putty.exe profilename" on
    >separate lines, but that will create the windows serially (ie. I need
    >to close the first window before the window comes up).

    Use the "start" command:

    start putty profile1
    start putty profile2

    (BTW, I suggest you use the "putty -load profile1" syntax.)

    >Extra credit is awarded if I can also position the windows where I want
    >them. PuTTY lets me specify size, but not position...

    You can't do this from within PuTTY, but there are some third-party
    utilities which claim to do this.

  3. Re: Open multiple PuTTY windows simultaneously on MS-Windows

    In article <1147871142.687211.161760@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    dwgoldfarb@hotmail.com "dwgoldfarb@hotmail.com" writes:

    > I use PuTTY SSH terminal emulator on a MS-windows 2003 Server box to
    > access multiple Linux/UNIX boxes. [snip rest...]

    Then why on earth cross-post this to comp.os.msdos.misc? It has
    absolutely nothing to do with msdos -- misc or otherwise!

    Follow-ups set to comp.security.ssh only.

    Pete
    --
    "We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,
    we have borrowed it from our descendants."

  4. Re: Open multiple PuTTY windows simultaneously on MS-Windows

    dwgoldfarb@hotmail.com schrieb:
    > I use PuTTY SSH terminal emulator on a MS-windows 2003 Server box to
    > access multiple Linux/UNIX boxes. Sometimes I need to open 20 or more
    > PuTTY windows at the same time.
    >
    > I would like to create one shortcut/.bat file that would open all of
    > the windows simultaneously. Double click it or execute one command from
    > a prompt and "poof" 20 PuTTY windows appear...
    >
    > I can do this with CYGWIN by simply backgrounding the processes:
    >
    > putty.exe profile1 &
    > putty.exe profile2 &
    >
    > Unfortunately the Windows box I need to use doesn't have CYGWIN
    > installed.
    >
    > I have tried creating a .bat file with "putty.exe profilename" on
    > separate lines, but that will create the windows serially (ie. I need
    > to close the first window before the window comes up).
    >
    > I have searched and it appears MS-DOS doesn't support background. Any
    > ideas?
    >
    > Extra credit is awarded if I can also position the windows where I want
    > them. PuTTY lets me specify size, but not position...
    >
    > Thanks for any advice/help you can provide.

    I have seen several putty wrapper software which are able to do that.
    search for ssh e.g. on freshmeat

  5. Re: Open multiple PuTTY windows simultaneously on MS-Windows

    dwgoldfarb@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I would like to create one shortcut/.bat file that would open all of
    > the windows simultaneously. Double click it or execute one command from
    > a prompt and "poof" 20 PuTTY windows appear...
    >
    > I can do this with CYGWIN by simply backgrounding the processes:
    >
    > putty.exe profile1 &
    > putty.exe profile2 &

    start /wait putty.exe profile1
    start /wait putty.exe profile2

    > Extra credit is awarded if I can also position the windows where I want
    > them. PuTTY lets me specify size, but not position...

    Can't help you there.

    Craig

+ Reply to Thread