Proxy help - SSH

This is a discussion on Proxy help - SSH ; I decided to play around with this feature a little and set up a SOCKS5 proxy. When you connect to a server through a proxy, what IP does it appear to the server that you're connecting from? The proxy, or ...

  1. Proxy help

    I decided to play around with this feature a little and set up a SOCKS5
    proxy. When you connect to a server through a proxy, what IP does it
    appear to the server that you're connecting from? The proxy, or the
    client? My ISP will only allow access to their usenet servers from one
    of their dynamically assigned IP's so I normally just forward a port
    through my home PC. When I try to do it with SOCKS5 though, I get a
    connection refused message. I'm trying to figure out if it's because
    I've configured something wrong or because the usenet server is seeing
    the client's address.

    Here's my setup:

    Cygwin SSH server running on home machine.

    On the client I run "ssh -N -D 9090 userid@myhomepc.dyndns.org"

    In the application (Thunderbird) I set up the connection as Manual Proxy
    Configuration, SOCKS5 Host = localhost, port = 9090".

    Is that correct?

  2. Re: Proxy help

    Chuck writes:

    > I decided to play around with this feature a little and set up a SOCKS5
    > proxy. When you connect to a server through a proxy, what IP does it
    > appear to the server that you're connecting from?

    The ssh server's address. You can experiment with a web browser
    using socks to your tunnel and looking at http://whatismyip.com/ for
    instance to verify this.

    > The proxy, or the client? My ISP will only allow access to their
    > usenet servers from one of their dynamically assigned IP's so I
    > normally just forward a port through my home PC. When I try to do it
    > with SOCKS5 though, I get a connection refused message. I'm trying
    > to figure out if it's because I've configured something wrong or
    > because the usenet server is seeing the client's address.
    >
    > Here's my setup:
    >
    > Cygwin SSH server running on home machine.
    >
    > On the client I run "ssh -N -D 9090 userid@myhomepc.dyndns.org"
    >
    > In the application (Thunderbird) I set up the connection as Manual Proxy
    > Configuration, SOCKS5 Host = localhost, port = 9090".
    >
    > Is that correct?

    Looks reasonable. Might try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost, and might
    try socks4 instead of 5.

    For usenet access like this, since nntp is pretty nicely confined to
    one port and destination, I use static port forwarding instead. -D is
    handiest with web browsing and IM in my experience.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread