Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working.. - SSH

This is a discussion on Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working.. - SSH ; I am using this command and arguments: ssh -vv -D 8080 user@host.com -------------------------------------------------------------------- Here is my version.. $ ssh -V OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005 -------------------------------------------------------------------- I can telnet to port 8080 on the client side and I see ...

  1. Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    I am using this command and arguments:

    ssh -vv -D 8080 user@host.com

    Here is my version..

    $ ssh -V
    OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

    I can telnet to port 8080 on the client side and I see SSH is
    listening:

    mmarch@werkstation ~
    $ telnet 127.0.0.1 8080
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to 127.0.0.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    I set both IE and Firefox to use this proxy : 127.0.0.1:8080 for all
    protocols.

    When I try to browse.. the browser can't get to the site and below is
    the debug in the SSH session:

    march@remotehost$ debug1: Connection to port 8080 forwar
    ding to socks port 0 requested.
    debug2: fd 8 setting TCP_NODELAY
    debug1: channel 2: new [dynamic-tcpip]
    debug2: channel 2: pre_dynamic: have 0
    debug2: channel 2: pre_dynamic: have 366
    debug2: channel 2: zombie
    debug2: channel 2: garbage collecting
    debug1: channel 2: free: dynamic-tcpip, nchannels 3

    I have tried this on two XP boxes going to two different SSH hosts.

  2. Re: Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    > ssh -vv -D 8080 user@host.com
    [snip]
    > I set both IE and Firefox to use this proxy : 127.0.0.1:8080 for all
    > protocols.

    The SSH dynamic proxy is a SOCKS proxy, not an HTTP proxy. Different
    protocol. Did you tell Firefox and IE that you were using a SOCKS proxy?

    --
    To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

  3. Re: Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    In comp.security.ssh Andrew Schulman :
    >> ssh -vv -D 8080 user@host.com

    > [snip]
    >> I set both IE and Firefox to use this proxy : 127.0.0.1:8080 for all
    >> protocols.

    > The SSH dynamic proxy is a SOCKS proxy, not an HTTP proxy. Different
    > protocol. Did you tell Firefox and IE that you were using a SOCKS proxy?

    Hi Richard!

    Iirc, IE being the utter piece of crap it is, it doesn't work
    probably with a SOCKS proxy at all. Though firefox, mozilla and
    others just work fine.

    Perhaps the OP would like to use "-L"? If there is a proxy or one
    can be reached on the other side, this should do fine, if you
    aren't using IE of course. It remains unknown to me why people use
    this browser at all?

    #bofh excuse 463: Germany is proud to be the first country
    in the world to tax private computers that are deemed to be
    "Internet-capable".

  4. Re: Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    In comp.security.ssh Michael Heiming :
    > In comp.security.ssh Andrew Schulman :
    >>> ssh -vv -D 8080 user@host.com

    >> [snip]
    >>> I set both IE and Firefox to use this proxy : 127.0.0.1:8080 for all
    >>> protocols.

    >> The SSH dynamic proxy is a SOCKS proxy, not an HTTP proxy. Different
    >> protocol. Did you tell Firefox and IE that you were using a SOCKS proxy?

    > Hi Richard!

    Ops, sorry! Seems I made a little mistake in the heat of the
    moment...;-)

    > Iirc, IE being the utter piece of crap it is, it doesn't work
    > probably with a SOCKS proxy at all. Though firefox, mozilla and
    > others just work fine.

    > Perhaps the OP would like to use "-L"? If there is a proxy or one
    > can be reached on the other side, this should do fine, if you
    > aren't using IE of course. It remains unknown to me why people use
    > this browser at all?

    #bofh excuse 57: Groundskeepers stole the root password

  5. Re: Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    Michael March wrote:
    > I am using this command and arguments:
    >
    > ssh -vv -D 8080 user@host.com

    I seem to remember reading that one of the limitations of OpenSSH under
    cygwin was that it did work as a dynamic proxy. Can't remember where and
    it's not in the man page. Am I wrong?

  6. Re: Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    > I seem to remember reading that one of the limitations of OpenSSH under
    > cygwin was that it did work as a dynamic proxy. Can't remember where and
    > it's not in the man page. Am I wrong?

    Yup, you're wrong. I use that feature regularly.

    --
    To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

  7. Re: Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    Andrew Schulman wrote:
    >> I seem to remember reading that one of the limitations of OpenSSH under
    >> cygwin was that it did work as a dynamic proxy. Can't remember where and
    >> it's not in the man page. Am I wrong?

    > Yup, you're wrong. I use that feature regularly.

    I must be thinking of the VPN.

  8. Re: Dynamic (-D) proxy using OpenSSH Cygwin.. not working..

    "Michael March" writes:
    > I am using this command and arguments:
    >
    > ssh -vv -D 8080 user@host.com

    > Here is my version..
    >
    > $ ssh -V
    > OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

    > I can telnet to port 8080 on the client side and I see SSH is
    > listening:
    >
    > mmarch@werkstation ~
    > $ telnet 127.0.0.1 8080
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > Connected to 127.0.0.1.
    > Escape character is '^]'.

    > I set both IE and Firefox to use this proxy : 127.0.0.1:8080 for all
    > protocols.

    I used -D regularly with cygwin. It's very handy.

    What you want is to set the SOCKS proxy only to 127.0.0.1 port 8080.
    Leave the rest of the proxy fields blank. -D implements a socks proxy.

    If you wanted to use http proxy with ssh, you'd do static
    portforwarding a la -L but it's icky for web browsing unless you want
    to set up a new port forwarding tunnel for every site you want to view.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread