GoDaddy's $10,000 donation - SSH

This is a discussion on GoDaddy's $10,000 donation - SSH ; Link: http://www.thehostingnews.com/article2217.html This is awesome!!! I wonder what the dev's will use the money for? OpenBSD hackathons? New hardware? Bandwidth costs? More companies need to do this. It's great to see a well known provider help out like this. ~David~...

  1. GoDaddy's $10,000 donation

    Link: http://www.thehostingnews.com/article2217.html

    This is awesome!!!

    I wonder what the dev's will use the money for? OpenBSD hackathons? New
    hardware? Bandwidth costs?

    More companies need to do this. It's great to see a well known provider help
    out like this.

    ~David~

  2. Re: GoDaddy's $10,000 donation

    ~David~ wrote:
    > Link: http://www.thehostingnews.com/article2217.html
    >
    > This is awesome!!!
    >
    > I wonder what the dev's will use the money for? OpenBSD hackathons?
    > New hardware? Bandwidth costs?
    >
    > More companies need to do this. It's great to see a well known
    > provider help out like this.

    Yeah, it's cool. I've actually spoken to a company with many hundreds of
    systems that I was migrating off of the ssh.com software to OpenSSH, and
    tried to get them to contribute some fraction of the licensing costs they
    were saving to the OpenSSH team. They ignored me, and in fact preferred to
    keep pushing back the actual switchover, even as they exceeded the number of
    licenses of ssh.com software, on the pretext that they were *planning to*
    switch away and would get around to it some day.

    Then the layoffs hit.

  3. Re: GoDaddy's $10,000 donation

    ~David~ wrote:
    > Link: http://www.thehostingnews.com/article2217.html
    >
    > This is awesome!!!
    >
    > I wonder what the dev's will use the money for? OpenBSD hackathons? New
    > hardware? Bandwidth costs?
    >
    > More companies need to do this. It's great to see a well known provider help
    > out like this.
    >
    > ~David~

    If it weren't for the trashy low budget superbowl ads, I might consider
    using their services. They did nothing for their corporate image.

  4. Re: GoDaddy's $10,000 donation

    On 2006-04-20, Chuck wrote:
    `
    > If it weren't for the trashy low budget superbowl ads, I might consider
    > using their services. They did nothing for their corporate image.

    And after that wardrobe malfunction I'm not buying anything else
    from Spear & Jackson.

    Or maybe adverts aren't really much of a basis for deciding anything.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/
    Powergen write "Why not stay with us" - let me count the ways!

+ Reply to Thread