openssh: Limiting bandwidth on ssh (stdin-to-dd) - SSH

This is a discussion on openssh: Limiting bandwidth on ssh (stdin-to-dd) - SSH ; I'm looking at using "ssh" from the openssh package, to perform secure backups of large directories from a local server to a remote server as in the following command executed on the local server. >tar -cf - ./test_dir | ssh ...

  1. openssh: Limiting bandwidth on ssh (stdin-to-dd)

    I'm looking at using "ssh" from the openssh package, to perform secure
    backups of large directories from a local server to a remote server as in
    the following command executed on the local server.

    >tar -cf - ./test_dir | ssh user@remote-server dd of=test_dir.tar

    Ie., I don't want to first create the tar file on the local system then use
    scp to copy it off, as there may not be enough disk storage on the local
    system to create the tar file. However, I cannot seem to find any way, for
    the above style of transfer using ssh, to do something like the "-l" option
    of scp to limit the amount of bandwidth used during the transfer.

    Does anybody know of a way?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. Re: openssh: Limiting bandwidth on ssh (stdin-to-dd)

    Mark Holden wrote:
    > I'm looking at using "ssh" from the openssh package, to perform secure
    > backups of large directories from a local server to a remote server
    > as in the following command executed on the local server.
    >
    >> tar -cf - ./test_dir | ssh user@remote-server dd of=test_dir.tar

    > Ie., I don't want to first create the tar file on the local system
    > then use scp to copy it off, as there may not be enough disk storage
    > on the local system to create the tar file. However, I cannot seem to
    > find any way, for the above style of transfer using ssh, to do
    > something like the "-l" option of scp to limit the amount of
    > bandwidth used during the transfer.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a way?

    I strongly urge you to look into using "rsync" and actually mirror the
    directory itself, not the tarball. That gets you bandwidth limitation, and
    vastly improves the speed of the transmission by sending only changes, not
    identical files. It can even be incorporated with "rsnapshot", which can
    create multiple snapshots of the filesystem on the server, hard-linked
    together to save space.

  3. Re: openssh: Limiting bandwidth on ssh (stdin-to-dd)

    Mark Holden wrote:

    > I'm looking at using "ssh" from the openssh package, to perform secure
    > backups of large directories from a local server to a remote server as in
    > the following command executed on the local server.
    >
    >>tar -cf - ./test_dir | ssh user@remote-server dd of=test_dir.tar

    I always wondered why scp doesn't allow "-" as a source or destination spec,
    it would make life that much easier

    producer | scp - remote:/somewhere
    or
    scp remote:/somewhere - | consumer