PuTTY/pscp/won't transfer any file unless its permisson on server is 777, option?T - SSH

This is a discussion on PuTTY/pscp/won't transfer any file unless its permisson on server is 777, option?T - SSH ; TIA for any help, I use putty's pscp.exe from a WinXPpro cmd window: pscp -p -pwxxxx c:\....file.name loginname@ip-address:/............../file.name Typically the programs on the web server have permission 644, but to upload the only setting that works is 777. Am I ...

  1. PuTTY/pscp/won't transfer any file unless its permisson on server is 777, option?T

    TIA for any help,
    I use putty's pscp.exe from a WinXPpro cmd window:
    pscp -p -pwxxxx c:\....file.name
    loginname@ip-address:/............../file.name

    Typically the programs on the web server have permission 644, but to upload
    the only setting that works
    is 777.
    Am I missing a option setting for pscp?

    BTW-the login allows file copy & delete, but not chmod

    Thanks
    Marty

  2. Re: PuTTY/pscp/won't transfer any file unless its permisson on serveris 777, option?T

    Marty Meyers wrote:
    > TIA for any help,
    > I use putty's pscp.exe from a WinXPpro cmd window:
    > pscp -p -pwxxxx c:\....file.name
    > loginname@ip-address:/............../file.name
    >
    > Typically the programs on the web server have permission 644, but to upload
    > the only setting that works
    > is 777.
    > Am I missing a option setting for pscp?
    >
    > BTW-the login allows file copy & delete, but not chmod
    >
    > Thanks
    > Marty

    Are you logging in as the same user that owns the files on the web server?

    You could also try psftp which has chmod and chown built in. If you're
    using windows on the client, WinSCP3 is a decent gui.
    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

  3. Re: PuTTY/pscp/won't transfer any file unless its permisson on server is 777, option?T

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > Marty Meyers wrote:
    > > TIA for any help,
    > > I use putty's pscp.exe from a WinXPpro cmd window:
    > > pscp -p -pwxxxx c:\....file.name
    > > loginname@ip-address:/............../file.name
    > >
    > > Typically the programs on the web server have permission 644, but to

    upload
    > > the only setting that works
    > > is 777.
    > > Am I missing a option setting for pscp?
    > >
    > > BTW-the login allows file copy & delete, but not chmod
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Marty
    > >

    > Are you logging in as the same user that owns the files on the web

    server?.

    > You could also try psftp which has chmod and chown built in. If you're
    > using windows on the client, WinSCP3 is a decent gui.
    > --
    > To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    Chuck, Thanks for your reply.
    Q-am I original owner? No however, the same problem exists even if I create
    the files with the same login, but, come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever
    went back and changed the permissions back to the original and then tried
    it. Will have to do that to verify.

    Regarding WinSCP3: ---->I'll give it a try, although PuTTY in a DOS window
    is a simple two key solution for uploading the same file repeatedly which is
    my typical use. Another advantage is using different source/destination
    file names.

+ Reply to Thread