Copying files over existing tunnel? - SSH

This is a discussion on Copying files over existing tunnel? - SSH ; Folks, I want to copy files to remote system over existing SSH tunnel without doing authentication again. We have one office near Chicago and another in Manilla Phillipines. We have a leased line to the remote office. We use ssh ...

  1. Copying files over existing tunnel?

    Folks,

    I want to copy files to remote system over existing SSH tunnel without doing
    authentication again.

    We have one office near Chicago and another in Manilla Phillipines. We have a
    leased line to the remote office. We use ssh with RSA keys to login into the
    remote system. During the compilation of our application, the compile script
    compiles the file and then copies them to the remote host in Manilla.

    The script may copy thousands of files. scp is very slow because it has to go
    through authentication process for every file (There are several reasons why
    we copy one file at a time, but I will not discuss them here). I want to
    setup a SSH tunnel at the begining of the process and be able to copy files
    using the existing tunnel and not do authentication again so that it will
    run faster.

    Is there a way to do it?

    Thanks.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------

  2. Re: Copying files over existing tunnel?

    HS> Folks,

    HS> I want to copy files to remote system over existing SSH tunnel
    HS> without doing authentication again.

    You do not say what SSH software you're using. If it's OpenSSH, see the
    ControlMaster/ControPath options.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Copying files over existing tunnel?

    While stranded on information super highway Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > HS> Folks,
    >
    > HS> I want to copy files to remote system over existing SSH tunnel
    > HS> without doing authentication again.
    >
    > You do not say what SSH software you're using. If it's OpenSSH, see the
    > ControlMaster/ControPath options.

    Yes, I am using OpenSSH, they are slightly different versions on different
    systems (AIX, Linux):

    # ssh -V
    OpenSSH_3.5p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f

    # ssh -V
    OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004

    ssh -V
    OpenSSH_4.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8 05 Jul 2005

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

+ Reply to Thread