SSH on Windows - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH on Windows - SSH ; Hi Everyone, What I am trying to do I'm sure has been done, I'm just the moron having issues. I installed OpenSSH on my Windows XP box at home. On my router at home, I forwarded port 22 to my ...

  1. SSH on Windows

    Hi Everyone,

    What I am trying to do I'm sure has been done, I'm just the moron
    having issues.

    I installed OpenSSH on my Windows XP box at home. On my router at
    home, I forwarded port 22 to my Windows box.

    On my PC at work, I installed Secure SSH Client. I can connect just
    fine using the Secure SSH Client. But I want to run Remote Desktop. I
    cannot get Remote Desktop to connect. I've tried a lot of IP's
    including my internal IP, my external IP, 127.0.0.1, etc......no luck.

    Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this to work?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: SSH on Windows

    amerar@iwc.net wrote:
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > What I am trying to do I'm sure has been done, I'm just the moron
    > having issues.
    >
    > I installed OpenSSH on my Windows XP box at home. On my router at
    > home, I forwarded port 22 to my Windows box.
    >
    > On my PC at work, I installed Secure SSH Client. I can connect just
    > fine using the Secure SSH Client. But I want to run Remote Desktop. I
    > cannot get Remote Desktop to connect. I've tried a lot of IP's
    > including my internal IP, my external IP, 127.0.0.1, etc......no luck.
    >
    > Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this to work?
    >
    > Thanks!

    First off is the machine at home XP Pro or XP Home? If the latter it
    doesn't support remote desktop. If Pro, then you need to set up tunnels
    for whatever ports RD uses. I use VNC so I don't know what port(s) RD
    uses. My tunnel for VNC is below and yours should probably be pretty close.

    ssh -N -L 5900:localhost:5900 MyUserID@MyDomain.dyndns.org

  3. Re: SSH on Windows

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > amerar@iwc.net wrote:
    >> Hi Everyone,
    >>
    >> What I am trying to do I'm sure has been done, I'm just the moron
    >> having issues.
    >>
    >> I installed OpenSSH on my Windows XP box at home. On my router at
    >> home, I forwarded port 22 to my Windows box.
    >>
    >> On my PC at work, I installed Secure SSH Client. I can connect just
    >> fine using the Secure SSH Client. But I want to run Remote Desktop. I
    >> cannot get Remote Desktop to connect. I've tried a lot of IP's
    >> including my internal IP, my external IP, 127.0.0.1, etc......no luck.
    >>
    >> Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this to work?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > First off is the machine at home XP Pro or XP Home? If the latter it
    > doesn't support remote desktop. If Pro, then you need to set up tunnels
    > for whatever ports RD uses. I use VNC so I don't know what port(s) RD
    > uses. My tunnel for VNC is below and yours should probably be pretty close.
    >

    > ssh -N -L 5900:localhost:5900 MyUserID@MyDomain.dyndns.org

    Remote Desktop uses port 3389 by default. I do this using SSH all the time.

  4. Re: SSH on Windows

    Mike Lowery wrote:
    > "Chuck" wrote in message
    >> amerar@iwc.net wrote:
    >>> Hi Everyone,
    >>>
    >>> What I am trying to do I'm sure has been done, I'm just the moron
    >>> having issues.
    >>>
    >>> I installed OpenSSH on my Windows XP box at home. On my router at
    >>> home, I forwarded port 22 to my Windows box.
    >>>
    >>> On my PC at work, I installed Secure SSH Client. I can connect just
    >>> fine using the Secure SSH Client. But I want to run Remote Desktop. I
    >>> cannot get Remote Desktop to connect. I've tried a lot of IP's
    >>> including my internal IP, my external IP, 127.0.0.1, etc......no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this to work?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> First off is the machine at home XP Pro or XP Home? If the latter it
    >> doesn't support remote desktop. If Pro, then you need to set up tunnels
    >> for whatever ports RD uses. I use VNC so I don't know what port(s) RD
    >> uses. My tunnel for VNC is below and yours should probably be pretty close.
    >>

    >> ssh -N -L 5900:localhost:5900 MyUserID@MyDomain.dyndns.org

    > Remote Desktop uses port 3389 by default. I do this using SSH all the time.

    Only on XP Pro. XP Home edition doesn't support RD. If there's some way
    to get it to work, I'm all ears.

    ^
    :-)

    Chuck

  5. Re: SSH on Windows

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > Mike Lowery wrote:
    >> "Chuck" wrote in message

    >>> First off is the machine at home XP Pro or XP Home? If the latter it
    >>> doesn't support remote desktop. If Pro, then you need to set up tunnels
    >>> for whatever ports RD uses. I use VNC so I don't know what port(s) RD
    >>> uses. My tunnel for VNC is below and yours should probably be pretty close.
    >>>
    >>> ssh -N -L 5900:localhost:5900 MyUserID@MyDomain.dyndns.org

    >> Remote Desktop uses port 3389 by default. I do this using SSH all the time.

    > Only on XP Pro. XP Home edition doesn't support RD. If there's some way
    > to get it to work, I'm all ears.

    It's called tightVNC.

+ Reply to Thread