    user keys for the root accounts so root can ssh seamlessly between the
    boxes.

  2. Re: ssh tunnel and ftp

    On 2006-03-30, ean007@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have host-a (ssh client, ftp client) and host-b (sshd and ftpd).
    > host-a wants to ftp to host-b, over ssh encrypted tunnel (command and
    > data if possible). host-a wants to use the command,
    >
    > ftp host-b
    >
    > and not have to use any other ports, i.e. the tunnelling has to be
    > transparent to both ftp client and ftpd on both host-a and host-b.
    >
    > What are the ssh commands needed to achieve this? Note I have set up
    > user keys for the root accounts so root can ssh seamlessly between the
    > boxes.

    Since you don't mention which platform or ssh implementation you're using
    it's hard to say.

    Some ssh implementations support enough of the ftp protocol to support
    ftp over ssh by interpretting the ftp commands. Check the documentation
    for yours to see if this is the case.

    Others don't, but do support dynamic forwarding (ie SOCKS). Ought to work
    if your ftp client and server support passive mode and the ftp client
    can be SOCKSified (either native support or a tool such as runsocks or
    socksify) or your OS supports stack-level socksification (this is the
    case for AIX and I believe Mac OS X).

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.