DNS Lookup Problem - SSH

This is a discussion on DNS Lookup Problem - SSH ; Hi everyone: I currently am able to run a secure tunnel from my work computer to my home computer, using PuTTY and OpenSSH. The problem I am having is that some sites are still inaccessible. The DNS servers at work ...

  1. DNS Lookup Problem

    Hi everyone:
    I currently am able to run a secure tunnel from my work computer
    to my home computer, using PuTTY and OpenSSH. The problem I am having
    is that some sites are still inaccessible. The DNS servers at work run
    a black list (or black hole list) that causes all IP addresses on the
    list to route to nothing. When I am on my work network, they route to
    a page telling me that I have tried to access a restricted page, with a
    link provided that lists all restricted domains. When I am tunneling,
    it routes me to the usual, "Page cannot be displayed". I am almost
    certain that this is due to the DNS lookups still being routed through
    my work firewall. If I run 'netstat', I can still see active
    connections to what I deem to be the DNS servers at work. I am trying
    to access my personal email accounts on Yahoo!, Hotmail, and Mail.com,
    as I sometimes have important messages come there that I would rather
    not place in my work account. I am able to access these accounts when
    using HTTP-Tunnel, but the free version of that software is extremely
    slow. Is there some setting in PuTTY that I can change so that DNS
    lookups are done securely as well? If not, I'll just have to deal with
    using the slow program. No biggie. Any helpful feedback would be
    appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: DNS Lookup Problem

    lever2k2@hotmail.com writes:
    >I currently am able to run a secure tunnel from my work computer
    >to my home computer, using PuTTY and OpenSSH.

    [...]
    >Is there some setting in PuTTY that I can change so that DNS
    >lookups are done securely as well?

    Assuming you're using dynamic port forwarding, you need to at least set
    the setting described at the following location correctly:

    However, that's not much help if the application you're pointing at
    PuTTY's proxy insists on doing its own name lookups. IIRC, web browsers
    such as Firefox fall into this category.

  3. Re: DNS Lookup Problem

    Thanks for your reply. I am currently configured in PuTTY to
    dynamically forward port 1080, using IE 6. I'll continue playing
    around with the proxy settings in PuTTY. I didn't see any results in
    setting DNS to be handled at the proxy or handled locally in PuTTY. I
    have noticed that I see the same behavior (connects everywhere except
    blacklisted IPs), no matter if I have my workplace's proxy address
    typed in or not.

+ Reply to Thread