Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on Solaris 10 - SSH

This is a discussion on Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on Solaris 10 - SSH ; Hi, I've hit a brick wall trying to build OpenSSH 4.3p2 on Sol 10 (x86). I've already built OpenSSL 0.9.8a in /usr/local/openssl, but no matter what I try, the configure script of OpenSSH ends with the dreaded message: checking OpenSSL ...

  1. Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on Solaris 10

    Hi,

    I've hit a brick wall trying to build OpenSSH 4.3p2 on Sol 10 (x86).

    I've already built OpenSSL 0.9.8a in /usr/local/openssl, but no matter
    what I try, the configure script of OpenSSH ends with the dreaded message:

    checking OpenSSL header version... 90801f (OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005)
    checking OpenSSL library version... 90704f (OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004)
    checking whether OpenSSL's headers match the library... no
    configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do not match your library.

    configure is called as so:

    configure --prefix=/usr/local/openssh-4.3p2 --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl

    My OpenSSL happens to be a 64bit ELF for AMD64. By default openssh builds
    to 32bit, but adding --build=amd64-pc-solaris2.10 makes no difference.

    I've tried setting CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    appropriately but the configure script stubbornly insists on finding the
    libcrypto.so in /usr/sfw/lib rather than the one in
    /usr/local/openssl/lib.

    I've even tried moving the Sol1 0 libcrypto.so out of the way, but the
    configure script still doesn't find the one I've built.

    The findssl.sh script doesn't find the openssl lib I've built either,
    though it does find the header files.

    I can't build openssh against the Solaris 10 libcrypto because of the
    lack of the 192 and 256 bit DES functions.

    I'd be very grateful of any suggestions for solving this.

    --
    Liam Gretton Leiden, The Netherlands

  2. Re: Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on Solaris 10

    On 2006-03-24, Liam Gretton wrote:
    > configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do not match your library.

    [...]
    > I've tried setting CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    > appropriately but the configure script stubbornly insists on finding the
    > libcrypto.so in /usr/sfw/lib rather than the one in
    > /usr/local/openssl/lib.

    Try ./configure --with-cflags=-m64 or build a 32-bit OpenSSL and use
    that.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  3. Re: Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on Solaris 10

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Darren Tucker wrote:

    > On 2006-03-24, Liam Gretton wrote:
    > > configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do not match your library.

    > [...]
    > > I've tried setting CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    > > appropriately but the configure script stubbornly insists on finding the
    > > libcrypto.so in /usr/sfw/lib rather than the one in
    > > /usr/local/openssl/lib.

    > Try ./configure --with-cflags=-m64 or build a 32-bit OpenSSL and use
    > that.

    That's it, thanks.

    I found the findssl.sh log, which indicated it didn't like the 64bit libs.
    There are too many dependencies on 32bit libs to be able to build a 64bit
    openssh at the moment, but it seems my 32bit OpenSSL build isn't working,
    so I'm pursuing that.

    Thanks again.

    --
    Liam Gretton Leiden, Netherlands