ssh kb interactive question - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh kb interactive question - SSH ; I have a job that needs to run over ssh via cron. The originating system is linux to remote system is runing Sun OS 5.0 and the sshd id's itself as sun_ssh_1.1. It is running v2 protocol. The sun box ...

  1. ssh kb interactive question

    I have a job that needs to run over ssh via cron. The originating
    system is linux to remote system is runing Sun OS 5.0 and the sshd
    id's itself as sun_ssh_1.1. It is running v2 protocol.

    The sun box uses PAM keyboard interactive authentication. I can't use
    this via cron from what I've gathered. I generated some rsa keys and
    set things up, but the sun daemon bypassed them and went to the
    interactive keyboard authentication. I am not root on the sun box so
    my options are somewhat limited. Any suggestions?

    Thanks a million....

    Bob Lee

    --
    Robert Lee PGP: D3EE2268 pgp.mit.edu
    *** I prefer email in plain text ***

  2. Re: ssh kb interactive question

    BL> I have a job that needs to run over ssh via cron. The originating
    BL> system is linux to remote system is runing Sun OS 5.0 and the sshd
    BL> id's itself as sun_ssh_1.1. It is running v2 protocol.

    BL> The sun box uses PAM keyboard interactive authentication. I can't
    BL> use this via cron from what I've gathered. I generated some rsa
    BL> keys and set things up, but the sun daemon bypassed them and went
    BL> to the interactive keyboard authentication. I am not root on the
    BL> sun box so my options are somewhat limited. Any suggestions?

    The SSH client generally* determines the order in which it tries
    authentication methods, not the server. It's possible the default order
    is simply wrong for you. Try:

    ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=publickey -o BatchMode=yes ...

    This assuming publickey is enabled, that you were right in that it tried
    keyboard-interactive before publickey (did you look at ssh -v?), etc.

    (*) I say "generally" because it possible via the protocol for a server
    to force a particular order on the client, but I have never seen an
    implementation actually do this.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: ssh kb interactive question

    Bob Lee wrote:
    > I have a job that needs to run over ssh via cron. The originating
    > system is linux to remote system is runing Sun OS 5.0 and the sshd
    > id's itself as sun_ssh_1.1. It is running v2 protocol.
    >
    > The sun box uses PAM keyboard interactive authentication. I can't use
    > this via cron from what I've gathered. I generated some rsa keys and
    > set things up, but the sun daemon bypassed them and went to the
    > interactive keyboard authentication. I am not root on the sun box so
    > my options are somewhat limited. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks a million....
    >
    > Bob Lee

    BY "set things up", does that include

    1) adding the public key to the $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys file
    2) running the ssh-agent on the client
    3) adding the private key to the running agent?

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

+ Reply to Thread