OpenSSH,Cygwin and blocking multiple attempts - SSH

This is a discussion on OpenSSH,Cygwin and blocking multiple attempts - SSH ; Hi, I'm trying to figure out how, with Cygwins OpenSSH package running on XP Home, I can configure OpenSSH, so that when someone connects and fails to login > x number of times, that OpenSSH then ignores any attempt from ...

  1. OpenSSH,Cygwin and blocking multiple attempts

    Hi,

    I'm trying to figure out how, with Cygwins OpenSSH package running on XP
    Home, I can configure OpenSSH, so that when someone connects and fails
    to login > x number of times, that OpenSSH then ignores any attempt from
    that IP.

    From reading around I've seen scripts for Linux to update iptables to do
    the same thing, but I doubt its possible to have my firewall be updated
    - so I'm looking for a way to have openssh itself "ignore" those IPs
    that repeatedly try to access my system.

    Any ideas?

    Adrian

  2. Re: OpenSSH,Cygwin and blocking multiple attempts

    On 2006-03-11, Adrian Marsh (NNTP) wrote:
    > I'm trying to figure out how, with Cygwins OpenSSH package running on XP
    > Home, I can configure OpenSSH, so that when someone connects and fails
    > to login > x number of times, that OpenSSH then ignores any attempt from
    > that IP.
    >
    > From reading around I've seen scripts for Linux to update iptables to do
    > the same thing, but I doubt its possible to have my firewall be updated
    > - so I'm looking for a way to have openssh itself "ignore" those IPs
    > that repeatedly try to access my system.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    If Cygwin's sshd is built with tcpwrappers support (I don't know if it
    is but you could probably build rebuild with it) then you can dump the
    nuisance source addresses into hosts.deny.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

+ Reply to Thread