getnameinfo failed - SSH

This is a discussion on getnameinfo failed - SSH ; Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldn't find any relating thread within the last 600 posts in this group and not much articles via google that offers a solution/explanation. I know this issue hasn't occured in ...

  1. getnameinfo failed

    Hi,

    sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldn't find any relating thread
    within the last 600 posts in this group and not much articles via google
    that offers a solution/explanation.

    I know this issue hasn't occured in the past, but i'm not sure about the
    circumstances.

    while starting sshd my Suse 9.3, i get the folliowing error:
    Mar 6 12:20:44 rex sshd[15113]: Server listening on :: port 9797.
    Mar 6 12:20:44 rex sshd[15113]: error: Bind to port 9797 on 0.0.0.0 failed:
    Address already in use.

    This always happens while restarting and i already heard about this issue
    that one sometimes has to first stop and then start sshd to avoid this.
    But sometimes, this occurs in the bootprocess, too.

    And even if i start/stop it, it always says
    Mar 6 19:35:56 rex sshd[6405]: error: getnameinfo failed
    Mar 6 19:35:56 rex sshd[6405]: Server listening on :: port 9797

    although sshd now works (properly?), so that i can login from remote.

    So what does this getnameinfo failure mean? Something to do with ipv6?

    [nf@rex ~]$ rpm -q openssh
    openssh-3.9p1-12.4
    [nf@rex ~]$ uname -a
    Linux rex 2.6.11.4-21.11-default #1 Thu Feb 2 20:54:26 UTC 2006 i686 athlon
    i386 GNU/Linux

    sshd_conf:
    [...]
    StrictModes yes
    RSAAuthentication yes
    PermitRootLogin no
    PermitEmptyPasswords no
    IgnoreRhosts yes
    RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    X11UseLocalhost yes
    UsePAM yes
    ChallengeResponseAuthentication no ### default war yes
    PasswordAuthentication yes
    Port #not port 22#
    Protocol 2
    #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0 # tried uncommented, but it seems the default
    [...]
    --
    lg niko
    icq:# 129022192

  2. Re: getnameinfo failed

    NF> So what does this getnameinfo failure mean? Something to do with
    NF> ipv6?

    If you suspect that (which looks likely), try sshd -4 first.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: getnameinfo failed

    On 2006-03-07, Nikolai Frsterling wrote:
    [...]
    > while starting sshd my Suse 9.3, i get the folliowing error:
    > Mar 6 12:20:44 rex sshd[15113]: Server listening on :: port 9797.
    > Mar 6 12:20:44 rex sshd[15113]: error: Bind to port 9797 on 0.0.0.0 failed:
    > Address already in use.

    Linux doesn't let a process listen on the same port on both IPv4 and
    IPv6 (IPv4 connections will be passed to the app as IPv4-in-6 mapped
    connections).

    You can a) ignore it, b) disable IPv6 on your system, c) tell sshd to
    listen only on IPv4 (the "-4" command line option, AddressFamily config
    directive or "ListenAddress 0.0.0.0").

    > And even if i start/stop it, it always says
    > Mar 6 19:35:56 rex sshd[6405]: error: getnameinfo failed
    > Mar 6 19:35:56 rex sshd[6405]: Server listening on :: port 9797

    [...]
    > So what does this getnameinfo failure mean? Something to do with ipv6?

    Hard to tell since the reason for the error isn't reported. (Recent
    versions of OpenSSH do report it.)

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  4. Re: getnameinfo failed

    > NF> So what does this getnameinfo failure mean? Something to do with
    > NF> ipv6?
    >
    > If you suspect that (which looks likely), try sshd -4 first.

    That wsa just a guess.
    AFAIK does the Listen adress 0.0.0.0 tell sshd to bind only ip4, doesn't it?
    But i tried sshd -4 with no change in the error message.
    --
    lg niko
    icq:# 129022192

  5. Re: getnameinfo failed

    > Linux doesn't let a process listen on the same port on both IPv4 and
    > IPv6 (IPv4 connections will be passed to the app as IPv4-in-6 mapped
    > connections).
    >
    > You can a) ignore it, b) disable IPv6 on your system, c) tell sshd to
    > listen only on IPv4 (the "-4" command line option, AddressFamily config
    > directive or "ListenAddress 0.0.0.0").

    Yesterday, i reconfigured my kernel and disabled all(?) ip6-functionality,
    same in the system configs.
    But again, the Listen adress doesn't have an effect on the error message.
    Maybe, as sshd seems to work properly, i'll have to ignore them in the
    future...

    > Hard to tell since the reason for the error isn't reported. (Recent
    > versions of OpenSSH do report it.)

    openssh-3.9p1-12.4 is the most recent version for suse and i want to avoid
    compiling such security-related software.
    --
    lg niko
    icq:# 129022192

  6. Re: getnameinfo failed

    On 2006-03-08, Nikolai Frsterling wrote:
    [...]
    > openssh-3.9p1-12.4 is the most recent version for suse and i want to avoid
    > compiling such security-related software.

    Well, you can try strace'ing sshd, but if that doesn't shed any light and
    you don't want to make any changes then I have no other suggestions.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

+ Reply to Thread