scp without any prompts - SSH

This is a discussion on scp without any prompts - SSH ; I have never used SCP before, but I am working on a perl script to generate a report. The perl script runs on accnt1@host1 which is where its output is generated and I need to have the script place the ...

  1. scp without any prompts

    I have never used SCP before, but I am working on a perl script to
    generate a report. The perl script runs on accnt1@host1 which is where
    its output is generated and I need to have the script place the output
    file on accnt2@host2 securely.

    I put the public key for accnt1@host1 in the .ssh directory on the
    accnt2@host2 but whenever I try to scp a file from accnt1@host1 to
    accnt2@host2 the scp program prompts me for the passkey, then it prompts
    me for the password for accnt2@host2.

    How do I turn off those prompts? I have tried using -i to point to the
    private key of accnt1@@host1 and used that ssh option to turn off
    password authentication, but I am still being prompted to enter both the
    authentication key and the password.

    I have read through some online manuals and the system man pages, but I
    still don't see what the trick is. I am sure its a simple thing, but the
    documentation I have found thus far sheds no light on this question.

    Any tips on where I can read up on how scp is configured or if you
    happen to know the steps involved in doing this, will be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: scp without any prompts

    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/general...ging.auto.html
    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/no-passphrase.auto.html

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: scp without any prompts

    Shawn Hirn:
    >I put the public key for accnt1@host1 in the .ssh directory on the
    >accnt2@host2 but whenever I try to scp a file from accnt1@host1 to
    >accnt2@host2 the scp program prompts me for the passkey, then it prompts
    >me for the password for accnt2@host2.
    >
    >How do I turn off those prompts?

    Run ssh-agent on host1, ssh-add the private key to it, then run your
    script.

    --
    René Pijlman

+ Reply to Thread