F-Secure login problems connecting via SSH2 after 3 sessions - SSH

This is a discussion on F-Secure login problems connecting via SSH2 after 3 sessions - SSH ; Using a Windows software tool to connect to a server internally here at my company, I am able to connect to a server that is running F-Secure SSH. The connection that is established is SFTP using SSH2; I am able ...

  1. F-Secure login problems connecting via SSH2 after 3 sessions

    Using a Windows software tool to connect to a server internally here at
    my company, I am able to connect to a server that is running F-Secure
    SSH. The connection that is established is SFTP using SSH2; I am able
    to login in and upload/download and everything is happy for three
    logins. On the fourth session, I am unable to login.

    My admin tells me that the login maximum failed attempts has been
    reached and has to reset the account. The software reports no such
    problems, and I have a submitted a support request to the software
    company detailing this problem.

    Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it a fault with the window's
    software or a missing setting on the server?

    advTHANKSance

    -OmegaMan

    PS The tool to connect is the latest FTP Voyager (12.3.0.1) and is
    connecting to an SSH Server version: SSH-2.0-3.1.0 F-SECURE SSH.

  2. Re: F-Secure login problems connecting via SSH2 after 3 sessions

    In comp.security.ssh OmegaMan :
    > Using a Windows software tool to connect to a server internally here at
    > my company, I am able to connect to a server that is running F-Secure
    > SSH. The connection that is established is SFTP using SSH2; I am able
    > to login in and upload/download and everything is happy for three
    > logins. On the fourth session, I am unable to login.

    > My admin tells me that the login maximum failed attempts has been
    > reached and has to reset the account. The software reports no such
    > problems, and I have a submitted a support request to the software
    > company detailing this problem.

    > Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it a fault with the window's
    > software or a missing setting on the server?

    Impossible to tell without seeing logs from the server or/and at
    least a debugging output from your client.

    > PS The tool to connect is the latest FTP Voyager (12.3.0.1) and is
    > connecting to an SSH Server version: SSH-2.0-3.1.0 F-SECURE SSH.

    I can assure you that winscp + putty do a pretty seamless job for
    doze users.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 39: terrorist activities

  3. Re: F-Secure login problems connecting via SSH2 after 3 sessions

    On 2006-02-28, Richard E. Silverman wrote:
    > OM> My admin tells me that the login maximum failed attempts has been
    > OM> reached and has to reset the account. The software reports no such
    > OM> problems, and I have a submitted a support request to the software
    > OM> company detailing this problem.

    [...]
    > It is probably trying several other methods before the one you're using;
    > in some SSH servers and/or PAM configurations, each such attempt counts as
    > a failure against some limit. Try configuring the client to use the
    > correct method first.

    Most systems will clear the failed login count after successful login,
    though. Either the policy is such that this is not the case, or the
    software doesn't do this even though it should.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  4. Re: F-Secure login problems connecting via SSH2 after 3 sessions

    Putty does work without causing any problems. If I can't get the
    aformentioned program to work properly I will give winscp a try. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread