How to allow connection via public key authentication only - SSH

This is a discussion on How to allow connection via public key authentication only - SSH ; Is it possible to set up cygwin ssh to allow connection only via key authentication only? I don't want them to logon via the weak passwords they set on their workstations....

  1. How to allow connection via public key authentication only

    Is it possible to set up cygwin ssh to allow connection only via key
    authentication only? I don't want them to logon via the weak passwords
    they set on their workstations.

  2. Re: How to allow connection via public key authentication only

    professor chen wrote:
    > Is it possible to set up cygwin ssh to allow connection only via key
    > authentication only? I don't want them to logon via the weak passwords
    > they set on their workstations.

    Should be: read the "sshd" manpage, and decide whether you want the users to
    have *any* password based login on the server, even if they log in from the
    console. If they don't need local non-SSH logins, then you can simply lock
    all the passwords on the SSH server, forcing them to use public key
    authentication.

  3. Re: How to allow connection via public key authentication only

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" (06-02-27 12:56:39):

    > > Is it possible to set up cygwin ssh to allow connection only via key
    > > authentication only? I don't want them to logon via the weak passwords
    > > they set on their workstations.

    > Should be: read the "sshd" manpage, and decide whether you want the
    > users to have *any* password based login on the server, even if they
    > log in from the console. If they don't need local non-SSH logins, then
    > you can simply lock all the passwords on the SSH server, forcing them
    > to use public key authentication.

    Or set

    ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
    PasswordAuthentication no
    PubkeyAuthentication yes

    in your sshd_config, if such a thing exists in the cygwin version.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread