Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports - SSH

This is a discussion on Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports - SSH ; Is it possible to get SSHD to run on additional ports to 22 at the same time, on the same IP address, or run on different ports using different IP addresses, like Apache does? I also want to create accounts ...

  1. Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    Is it possible to get SSHD to run on additional ports to 22 at the
    same time, on the same IP address, or run on different ports using
    different IP addresses, like Apache does?

    I also want to create accounts that are not for reading and writing
    files, but to allow users to connect to SSH and to connect to local
    processs and forwarding to other servers.

    Does Linux have a way of doing that?

  2. Re: Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    In article <1140895236.130998.154220@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk writes:

    >Is it possible to get SSHD to run on additional ports to 22 at the
    >same time, on the same IP address, or run on different ports using
    >different IP addresses, like Apache does?

    Did you try reading the man page? I.e. sshd_config(5), in particular the
    description of ListenAddress.

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  3. Re: Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > Is it possible to get SSHD to run on additional ports to 22 at the
    > same time, on the same IP address, or run on different ports using
    > different IP addresses, like Apache does?
    >
    > I also want to create accounts that are not for reading and writing
    > files, but to allow users to connect to SSH and to connect to local
    > processs and forwarding to other servers.
    >
    > Does Linux have a way of doing that?

    Those are two *very* different questions. The alternative ports is trivial,
    and settable in the man page and by creating additional init scripts for
    your UNIX or Linux system to start the alternative ports with alternative
    config files.

    However, the "give me an account that has no read-write privileges" is
    another story. Unless you've built and carefully constrained a chroot cage,
    SSH accounts almost always have shell access to locations like /tmp. That
    may be acceptable to you, but it may be more privilege than you really wish
    to grant.

  4. Re: Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk writes:

    >Is it possible to get SSHD to run on additional ports to 22 at the
    >same time, on the same IP address, or run on different ports using
    >different IP addresses, like Apache does?

    Yes to the first. Just put in more Port statements into sshd.config
    Port 22
    Port 80
    Port 1996
    ..
    (I use the second so that I can use ssh from behind ISps who block port 22
    outgoing in some obscure belief it increases security. Almost noone blocks
    port 80 outgoing. It probably also confuses some browser worms.)

    >I also want to create accounts that are not for reading and writing
    >files, but to allow users to connect to SSH and to connect to local
    >processs and forwarding to other servers.

    >Does Linux have a way of doing that?

  5. Re: Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    This is what I was looking for.

    Is it possible to set the port 80 to listen only on a specific IP
    address in the sshd_config, one that the webserver will not be
    listening on?

  6. Re: Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    What type of account template can I create to give the most minimal of
    rights, short of the chroot described above?

    I know that Plesk offers some chrooted options in account creation. If
    it is possible to allow access to ssh on some of those chroot options
    that will be great.

  7. Re: Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > This is what I was looking for.
    >
    > Is it possible to set the port 80 to listen only on a specific IP
    > address in the sshd_config, one that the webserver will not be
    > listening on?

    That seems feasible: I haven't tried it.

  8. Re: Is it possible to get ssh to run on multiple ports

    In article <1141037759.955095.187820@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>

    http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

    >Is it possible to set the port 80 to listen only on a specific IP
    >address in the sshd_config, one that the webserver will not be
    >listening on?

    Not with Port statements, you need to use ListenAddress for that. Again,
    please read the man page for sshd_config.

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

+ Reply to Thread