Does Roadrunner us dynamic ports? - SSH

This is a discussion on Does Roadrunner us dynamic ports? - SSH ; I am having trouble setting up an SSH tunnel from work to home. I have a Roadrunner home account and have my iMac at home communicate with the cable modem via an Airport. I am running ssh on port 22 ...

  1. Does Roadrunner us dynamic ports?

    I am having trouble setting up an SSH tunnel from work to home. I have
    a Roadrunner home account and have my iMac at home communicate with the
    cable modem via an Airport.

    I am running ssh on port 22 on the iMac, and the is Airport configured
    to pass port 22. Since the modem is on all the time, I have a fairly
    consistent IP address. I used www.ipchicken.com from home to establish
    my home IP address, however I am unable to establish a connection.

    I spoke with tech-savvy friend who suggested that Roadrunner is using
    dynamic ports -- although the dynamic IP address may remain the same
    for long periods, the ports switch for every transaction. The
    IPChicken.com report includes a "Remote Port" number which changes
    every time the page is loaded. This would seem to confirm the dynamic
    port theory.

    Does anyone know if this is the case? Is there a workaround? If you
    haven't guessed by now, I'm a newbie at this and don't fully understand
    IP communication.

  2. Re: Does Roadrunner us dynamic ports?

    On 24 Feb 2006 10:11:01 -0800, "Joe Shockey" wrote:

    >I am having trouble setting up an SSH tunnel from work to home. I have
    >a Roadrunner home account and have my iMac at home communicate with the
    >cable modem via an Airport.
    >
    >I am running ssh on port 22 on the iMac, and the is Airport configured
    >to pass port 22. Since the modem is on all the time, I have a fairly
    >consistent IP address. I used www.ipchicken.com from home to establish
    >my home IP address, however I am unable to establish a connection.

    It's possible that RR is blocking unsolicited inbound traffic as a
    [dis]service to their customers. Check your Airport logs to determine
    whether or not there have been attempts to connect to port 22. I can't
    tell you exactly how to do that because I don't own an Airport. You
    should also examine firewall settings on your iMac to ensure that
    port 22 inbound is open.

    >I spoke with tech-savvy friend who suggested that Roadrunner is using
    >dynamic ports -- although the dynamic IP address may remain the same
    >for long periods, the ports switch for every transaction. The
    >IPChicken.com report includes a "Remote Port" number which changes
    >every time the page is loaded. This would seem to confirm the dynamic
    >port theory.

    That's most likely your Airport doing port address translation and/or
    your browser opening a new connection.

    >Does anyone know if this is the case? Is there a workaround? If you
    >haven't guessed by now, I'm a newbie at this and don't fully understand
    >IP communication.

    The problem needs to be identified before delving into the solution space.

+ Reply to Thread