killing ssh-agent processes - SSH

This is a discussion on killing ssh-agent processes - SSH ; I have lots of ssh-agent processes cluttering up process space. Not taking many resources, but annoying nonetheless. How can I determine which of them can be killed w/o any adverse consequences? Right now my hunch is "just don't kill the ...

  1. killing ssh-agent processes

    I have lots of ssh-agent processes cluttering up process space. Not taking
    many resources, but annoying nonetheless.

    How can I determine which of them can be killed w/o any adverse
    consequences? Right now my hunch is "just don't kill the one mentioned in
    your environment variables."

    Also, is there any way to determine which application starts them?

    Finally, why are they accumulating like that? Something like an app that
    starts them is shirking responsibility for killing them?

    TIA,

  2. Re: killing ssh-agent processes

    sinister wrote:
    > I have lots of ssh-agent processes cluttering up process space. Not
    > taking many resources, but annoying nonetheless.
    >
    > How can I determine which of them can be killed w/o any adverse
    > consequences? Right now my hunch is "just don't kill the one
    > mentioned in your environment variables."

    One approach is to alter your ssh-agent startup tools to use a hard-coded
    location for them, rather than random ones. If you manage a small set of
    keys, it's easy to make the start-up location be
    /tmp/.ssh-agent-$HOSTNAME-$USERNAME or something like that, and it lets you
    stash the keys where you can use them for other programs.

    > Also, is there any way to determine which application starts them?
    >
    > Finally, why are they accumulating like that? Something like an app
    > that starts them is shirking responsibility for killing them?

    Bingo.

  3. Re: killing ssh-agent processes

    sinister wrote:
    > I have lots of ssh-agent processes cluttering up process space. Not taking
    > many resources, but annoying nonetheless.
    >
    > How can I determine which of them can be killed w/o any adverse
    > consequences? Right now my hunch is "just don't kill the one mentioned in
    > your environment variables."
    >
    > Also, is there any way to determine which application starts them?
    >
    > Finally, why are they accumulating like that? Something like an app that
    > starts them is shirking responsibility for killing them?
    >
    > TIA,

    Have a look at keychain. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/

    It lets you start up one agent for the entire system and add/revmove
    keys with command line arguments. No need to have scripts starting up
    their own copies of ssh-agent.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

+ Reply to Thread