Simple question for the wise - SSH

This is a discussion on Simple question for the wise - SSH ; Hey All, I'm trying to get an Xserver working on my PC. I'm about 90% there. I installed Cygwin, and I was able to connect to the server and run xclock. Now, because of the screwy security in this place, ...

  1. Simple question for the wise

    Hey All,

    I'm trying to get an Xserver working on my PC. I'm about 90% there.

    I installed Cygwin, and I was able to connect to the server and run
    xclock. Now, because of the screwy security in this place, I need to
    SSH from the first server to another server, which is where I need to
    run the X programs and such.......

    Instead, I get the infamous: "Can't Open Display" error.

    I set my display to the same value as on the other server, where I was
    running xclock successfully, but no go.

    I've also been able to generate this error:

    "X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication"

    Any ideas? Because I'm lost.........

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Simple question for the wise

    I forgot to add, that the problem actually exists when I 'su' to
    another user.........

    Any ideas?

  3. Re: Simple question for the wise

    Got it.....had to copy root's .Xauthority file over.........but what is
    this file for??

  4. Re: Simple question for the wise

    In comp.security.ssh johndoe@mtekusa.com:

    > Got it.....had to copy root's .Xauthority file over.........but what is
    > this file for??

    For more insight, try 'man xauth'.

    Good luck

    BTW
    Please try below URL(s) before answering, most people aren't
    using a browser here to read/write, this is usenet.

    http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply
    http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google

    #bofh excuse 410: Electrical conduits in machine room are
    melting.

  5. Re: Simple question for the wise

    johndoe@mtekusa.com writes:

    >I forgot to add, that the problem actually exists when I 'su' to
    >another user.........

    What problem? Please quote enough of the previous message so people know
    what you are talking about. It may surprise you but not everyone has
    memorized every word you have ever uttered or read.

    >Any ideas?

  6. Re: Simple question for the wise

    johndoe> Got it.....had to copy root's .Xauthority file
    johndoe> over.........but what is this file for??

    It contains a key the X client must provide in order to be allowed access
    to the X server, so as to prevent other people from connecting to your
    display (and, for instance, invisibly recording all your keystrokes).

    For more information, see:

    http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man7/xsecurity.7.html

    --
    Richard Silverman