sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine. - SSH

This is a discussion on sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine. - SSH ; Hello, sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the files ...

  1. sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    Hello,

    sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the files
    show up on the server with a zero byte size.

    everything else seems to work fine, i can make directories, delete
    files and get a directory listing even download files.

    any ideas what cud b causing this, is it a server problem or a client
    problem, the same thing happens no matter what client i use
    (commandline or GUI) cud my local sftp be broken somehow? but why wud 2
    machines suddenly have the exact same trouble?

    the server is freeBSD 4.9 running openssh 3.5p1, I'm connecting with 2
    separate machines running Mac OS X panther -gui clients: transmit,
    fugu, fetch and commandline SFTP in the darwin terminal ...none of
    these client work

    I've talked to other people using the server and nobody has a problem
    but me.

    any help wud b greatly appreciated, THX

  2. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    room20 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    > for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    > hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the
    > files
    > show up on the server with a zero byte size.
    >
    > everything else seems to work fine, i can make directories, delete
    > files and get a directory listing even download files.
    >
    > any ideas what cud b causing this, is it a server problem or a client
    > problem, the same thing happens no matter what client i use
    > (commandline or GUI) cud my local sftp be broken somehow? but why wud
    > 2
    > machines suddenly have the exact same trouble?
    >
    > the server is freeBSD 4.9 running openssh 3.5p1, I'm connecting with 2
    > separate machines running Mac OS X panther -gui clients: transmit,
    > fugu, fetch and commandline SFTP in the darwin terminal ...none of
    > these client work
    >
    > I've talked to other people using the server and nobody has a problem
    > but me.
    >
    > any help wud b greatly appreciated, THX

    3.5p1 is seriously out of date. Is there some reason not to update to a more
    recent version?

    And what other changes could have occurred recently? Have you started, or
    stopped using something like NIS or LDAP? Are these machines managed only by
    you?

  3. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    On 2006-02-12, room20 wrote:
    > sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    > for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    > hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the files
    > show up on the server with a zero byte size.

    Any network changes recently? Especially a firewalls or NAT?
    If so, see http://www.snailbook.com/faq/mtu-mismatch.auto.html

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  4. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    In article , Nico Kadel-Garcia
    wrote:

    > room20 wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    > > for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    > > hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the
    > > files
    > > show up on the server with a zero byte size.
    > >
    > > everything else seems to work fine, i can make directories, delete
    > > files and get a directory listing even download files.
    > >
    > > any ideas what cud b causing this, is it a server problem or a client
    > > problem, the same thing happens no matter what client i use
    > > (commandline or GUI) cud my local sftp be broken somehow? but why wud
    > > 2
    > > machines suddenly have the exact same trouble?
    > >
    > > the server is freeBSD 4.9 running openssh 3.5p1, I'm connecting with 2
    > > separate machines running Mac OS X panther -gui clients: transmit,
    > > fugu, fetch and commandline SFTP in the darwin terminal ...none of
    > > these client work
    > >
    > > I've talked to other people using the server and nobody has a problem
    > > but me.
    > >
    > > any help wud b greatly appreciated, THX

    > 3.5p1 is seriously out of date. Is there some reason not to update to a more
    > recent version?
    >
    > And what other changes could have occurred recently? Have you started, or
    > stopped using something like NIS or LDAP? Are these machines managed only by
    > you?

    Thanks for the reply,

    Regarding upgrading Openssh, the server has been running just great up
    until this particular problem, i was going to upgrade the server later
    this year and was working on the premise that if it ain't broke don't
    fix it until then.

    I manage the server and most of the machines that connect, nothing has
    changed on the server since i set it up some 3 or so years ago, after
    the problem occured i disconnected the original server machine and
    connected a backup server to test if something may have become
    corrupt on THAT original server, the same problem occured with the
    backup server.

    Windows boxes that connect to the server using ssh secure shell and ssh
    secure file transfer clients have NO trouble transferring files, ALL
    other users of the server also have no trouble transferring files from
    either the local area net or from the internet (these include other
    macs), the trouble seems to be isolated to these 2 macs running
    panther. both these machines connect to the server from the internet
    (and worked fine for years), thru a router w/firewall (a router
    problem?), other boxes that connect from the internet have no trouble.

    no updates or changes have been made recently to the "offending" macs,
    they just woke up one morning and suddenly both machines had the exact
    same problem.

  5. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    In article
    <43ef0e59$0$31278$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Darren
    Tucker wrote:

    > On 2006-02-12, room20 wrote:
    > > sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    > > for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    > > hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the files
    > > show up on the server with a zero byte size.

    > Any network changes recently? Especially a firewalls or NAT?
    > If so, see http://www.snailbook.com/faq/mtu-mismatch.auto.html

    That's the strange thing,... absolutely no changes at all. the machines
    had been working happily for years with the CURRENT settings on both
    server and router/firewall.

    I became aware of the problem one day when i was trying to upload a
    large file to the server and the UL hung. i don't recall if i had to
    force abort the upload. but that only happend on the one "offending"
    mac machine, from then on the sftp "put" command has stopped working on
    these 2 macs. The one offending mac had not even been used for a couple
    of months until i used it to test the PUT command for this particular
    problem.

    thx also for the reply and the info link, i am aware of the
    mtu-mismatch problem and will look into it again. Both of these
    offending macs use DIAL-UP to connect to the server.

  6. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    On 2006-02-12, room20 wrote:
    ><43ef0e59$0$31278$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Darren
    > Tucker wrote:
    >> Any network changes recently? Especially a firewalls or NAT?
    >> If so, see http://www.snailbook.com/faq/mtu-mismatch.auto.html

    > That's the strange thing,... absolutely no changes at all. the machines
    > had been working happily for years with the CURRENT settings on both
    > server and router/firewall.

    It's possible that a change in the network between the 2 endpoints could
    trigger this. I've personally seen this when my ISP cut me over to a
    new DSLAM and the newer one had a marginally lower MTU.

    The advice in the url is still worth a try if you're still experiencing
    problems.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  7. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    In article
    <43ef2d12$0$31261$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Darren
    Tucker wrote:

    > On 2006-02-12, room20 wrote:
    > ><43ef0e59$0$31278$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Darren
    > > Tucker wrote:
    > >> Any network changes recently? Especially a firewalls or NAT?
    > >> If so, see http://www.snailbook.com/faq/mtu-mismatch.auto.html

    > > That's the strange thing,... absolutely no changes at all. the machines
    > > had been working happily for years with the CURRENT settings on both
    > > server and router/firewall.

    > It's possible that a change in the network between the 2 endpoints could
    > trigger this. I've personally seen this when my ISP cut me over to a
    > new DSLAM and the newer one had a marginally lower MTU.
    >
    > The advice in the url is still worth a try if you're still experiencing
    > problems.

    I will definitely look into your advice, i was actually thinking that
    it cud be some change between "endpoints" (both the offending macs come
    from the same ISP) but didn't know how to verify or test for this, any
    advice u cud give me on troubleshooting something like that? Also, will
    changing the MTU on the server interface or router affect the other
    machines connecting to the server, will it impact the speed of the
    other connections in a negative way, all other boxes use broadband
    highspeed.

    wud a MTU mismatch affect downloading of files the same way? ALL
    machines can DL without trouble, i mean wud the fragmenting of packets
    happen in both directions?

    appreciate ur experience and advice

  8. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    In article <120220060809492347%nobody@nowhere.net> room20
    writes:

    >sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    >for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    >hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the files
    >show up on the server with a zero byte size.
    >
    >everything else seems to work fine, i can make directories, delete
    >files and get a directory listing even download files.

    File system full? Quota exceeded?

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  9. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    In article , Per Hedeland
    wrote:

    > In article <120220060809492347%nobody@nowhere.net> room20
    > writes:
    > >
    > >sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    > >for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    > >hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the files
    > >show up on the server with a zero byte size.
    > >
    > >everything else seems to work fine, i can make directories, delete
    > >files and get a directory listing even download files.

    > File system full? Quota exceeded?
    >
    > --Per Hedeland
    > per@hedeland.org

    Nope, plenty of room, quotas good.

    THX for the input

  10. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    I would attach a debugger to the remote side (sshd and/or sftp-server) and
    see what happens when you try the failing operation.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  11. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    On 2006-02-12, room20 wrote:
    > I will definitely look into your advice, i was actually thinking that
    > it cud be some change between "endpoints" (both the offending macs come
    > from the same ISP) but didn't know how to verify or test for this, any
    > advice u cud give me on troubleshooting something like that?

    The URL I sent you has a way to determine with a high degree of certainty
    (ie set the MTU of either end to 576). You can also find the connection
    in question in the output of "netstat" when its in the hung state; if
    it's an MTU problem the "SendQ" column on the data source will be more
    than a few bytes and will not decrease.

    > Also, will changing the MTU on the server interface or router affect
    > the other machines connecting to the server, will it impact the speed of
    > the other connections in a negative way, all other boxes use broadband
    > highspeed.

    On the server, yes, it will increase the per-packet overhead but the
    effect will probably not be noticed. The overhead will go from around
    2.7% (40 bytes overhead per 1460 bytes of data) to around 7.5% (40 bytes
    per 536 bytes of data).

    On the routers on the path, unless you change the exact interface that's
    causing the problem, changing MTUs is likely to either make no difference
    to your problem or make it worse, in addition to the increase in overhead
    mentioned above. I do not recommend changing MTUs on the routers unless
    you understand the implications.

    > wud a MTU mismatch affect downloading of files the same way?

    Probably not, but there are many variables so it's hard to say for sure.

    > ALL machines can DL without trouble, i mean wud the fragmenting of
    > packets happen in both directions?

    Probably not.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  12. Re: sftp "put" suddenly stopped working, all else works fine.

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > sftp "put" suddenly stopped working on a sever i've been connecting to
    > for 3 years with no problems. When i try to upload files the process
    > hangs, then i get an error message that says "closing error", the files
    > show up on the server with a zero byte size.
    >
    > everything else seems to work fine, i can make directories, delete
    > files and get a directory listing even download files.
    >
    > any ideas what cud b causing this, is it a server problem or a client
    > problem, the same thing happens no matter what client i use
    > (commandline or GUI) cud my local sftp be broken somehow? but why wud 2
    > machines suddenly have the exact same trouble?
    >
    > the server is freeBSD 4.9 running openssh 3.5p1, I'm connecting with 2
    > separate machines running Mac OS X panther -gui clients: transmit,
    > fugu, fetch and commandline SFTP in the darwin terminal ...none of
    > these client work
    >
    > I've talked to other people using the server and nobody has a problem
    > but me.
    >
    > any help wud b greatly appreciated, THX

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Would like to thank everybody who made suggestions regarding my sftp
    problem.

    The solution to the problem was indeed a MTU mismatch between the
    endpoints of the server and the client machines, after "tweaking" the
    mtu's on the server and the client machines, the server (and the sftp
    functionality) is now back to normal operation.

    A special HUGE THANKS to Darren Tucker for answering my questions and
    supplying the SOLUTION to the sftp mystery.