Monitor status of SSH and SCP connections? - SSH

This is a discussion on Monitor status of SSH and SCP connections? - SSH ; Is there a way to monitor who is connected via SSH and SCP using OpenSSH on Fedora Core 3? I know I can use "who" to simply see who is connected, but I want to know that they're connected via ...

  1. Monitor status of SSH and SCP connections?

    Is there a way to monitor who is connected via SSH and SCP using
    OpenSSH on Fedora Core 3? I know I can use "who" to simply see who is
    connected, but I want to know that they're connected via SSH. More
    importantly, I'd like to be able to see what files are being
    transferred using SCP and the status of those files (size, % complete,
    etc.).

    All my searching has turned up nothing, so I'm guessing there may be no
    way to do this without additional programs installed. There doesn't
    appear to be any switches that can be used with sshd, scp, etc. that
    will display this information.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Monitor status of SSH and SCP connections?

    "Misanthrope" wrote in message
    news:1138987862.550509.7180@o13g2000cwo.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Is there a way to monitor who is connected via SSH and SCP using
    > OpenSSH on Fedora Core 3? I know I can use "who" to simply see who is
    > connected, but I want to know that they're connected via SSH. More
    > importantly, I'd like to be able to see what files are being
    > transferred using SCP and the status of those files (size, % complete,
    > etc.).

    The successful SSH connections made are normally loged in /var/log/secure, I
    believe. It should be simple to parse those logs to report active
    connections. However, that logfile often contains sensitive information,
    such as mistyped logins when someone accidentally puts their password in as
    their login name, and should thus not be parsed and published without some
    careful thought.

    > All my searching has turned up nothing, so I'm guessing there may be no
    > way to do this without additional programs installed. There doesn't
    > appear to be any switches that can be used with sshd, scp, etc. that
    > will display this information.

    What I describe above would require an add-on monitor program.

  3. Re: Monitor status of SSH and SCP connections?

    Misanthrope schrieb:
    > Is there a way to monitor who is connected via SSH and SCP using
    > OpenSSH on Fedora Core 3? I know I can use "who" to simply see who is
    > connected, but I want to know that they're connected via SSH. More
    > importantly, I'd like to be able to see what files are being
    > transferred using SCP and the status of those files (size, % complete,
    > etc.).
    >
    > All my searching has turned up nothing, so I'm guessing there may be no
    > way to do this without additional programs installed. There doesn't
    > appear to be any switches that can be used with sshd, scp, etc. that
    > will display this information.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Hello,

    have a look at "logwatch". Somewhere under /etc is a config file that
    needs a little editing: fill in your mail address and the level of
    precision (0 - 10). You won't get the filenames but the users and kb's.

    Greetings

    Mario

+ Reply to Thread