rdist question - SSH

This is a discussion on rdist question - SSH ; I have never used rdist. Can any one tell me if I can update the password file using rdist? I have about 60 servers that needs to have a new password. Where I am working they do not want to ...

  1. rdist question

    I have never used rdist. Can any one tell me if I can update the
    password file using rdist?
    I have about 60 servers that needs to have a new password. Where I am
    working they do not
    want to use the .rhost file. Unfortunately its not an NIS network.

    Is there a quick way of doing this than manually?
    thanks
    Roger Vaede

  2. Re: rdist question

    rogv24@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have never used rdist. Can any one tell me if I can update the
    > password file using rdist?

    You can update almost anything you want with rdist. I think some group
    other than an SSH one would be better to ask, though.

    > I have about 60 servers that needs to have a new password. Where I am
    > working they do not
    > want to use the .rhost file. Unfortunately its not an NIS network.

    > Is there a quick way of doing this than manually?

    Depends on your infrastructure. There's nothing native in SSH that will
    help you. You might have other things in place...

    Rdist is one of several programs that attempt to (among other things)
    copy files to machines under certain conditions. You could copy over
    /etc/passwd /etc/shadow files, but that would copy the whole file.
    Usually you need more granularity than that.

    Assuming I had scriptable ssh root access to all the target machines, I
    might put a program on every machine that took a password and updated
    the account, then call the program remotely. That may or may not be
    possible with the default 'passwd' program on your machine, depending on
    the OS. There's lots of ways to do this wrong and hose your account
    files (or other troubles).

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: rdist question

    "Darren Dunham" wrote in message
    news:5tQDf.40617$dW3.13176@newssvr21.news.prodigy. com...
    > rogv24@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I have never used rdist. Can any one tell me if I can update the
    >> password file using rdist?

    > You can update almost anything you want with rdist. I think some group
    > other than an SSH one would be better to ask, though.
    >
    >> I have about 60 servers that needs to have a new password. Where I am
    >> working they do not
    >> want to use the .rhost file. Unfortunately its not an NIS network.

    >> Is there a quick way of doing this than manually?

    > Depends on your infrastructure. There's nothing native in SSH that will
    > help you. You might have other things in place...
    >
    > Rdist is one of several programs that attempt to (among other things)
    > copy files to machines under certain conditions. You could copy over
    > /etc/passwd /etc/shadow files, but that would copy the whole file.
    > Usually you need more granularity than that.
    >
    > Assuming I had scriptable ssh root access to all the target machines, I
    > might put a program on every machine that took a password and updated
    > the account, then call the program remotely. That may or may not be
    > possible with the default 'passwd' program on your machine, depending on
    > the OS. There's lots of ways to do this wrong and hose your account
    > files (or other troubles).

    I'd send SSH based $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys files, or switch to an LDAP
    based central account management system.

+ Reply to Thread