Re: Terminal / Telnet question for Windows CE / Pocket PC - SSH

This is a discussion on Re: Terminal / Telnet question for Windows CE / Pocket PC - SSH ; In article , "Charles Lavin" wrote: > Hi -- > > I have a handheld inventory / barcode terminal running Windows CE 3.0. > Windows CE (at least on this device) comes with a terminal emulator program > that supports ...

  1. Re: Terminal / Telnet question for Windows CE / Pocket PC

    In article ,
    "Charles Lavin" wrote:

    > Hi --
    >
    > I have a handheld inventory / barcode terminal running Windows CE 3.0.
    > Windows CE (at least on this device) comes with a terminal emulator program
    > that supports only async communications.
    >
    > I need to connect this device via telnet to a back office server to run some
    > LOB applications on it.
    >
    > We are looking at two other devices from Symbol. One of them runs on Windows
    > CE 4, and the other runs on Windows CE 5.
    >
    > Do Windows CE 4 and/or 5 include either (a) a terminal app that supports
    > TCP/IP connections, or (b) a standard telnet client?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > CL

    Hi Charles.

    Windows CE devices do not ship with a Telnet/SSH client and I strongly
    doubt MS would implement this in the future.

    I strongly would suggest you purchase Pocket TTY from Deju Vu Software.

    http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

    Screenshots

    http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/Screen001.jpg
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/Screen005.jpg
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/pine.jpg

    I also strongly suggest you use SSH instead of Telnet. Telnet is very
    very insecure.

    Here are some features of Pocket TTY.

    PockeTTY turns your Windows CE device into a portable terminal emulator.
    Use it to remotely administer your home Linux machine, check your e-mail
    at work, or test hardware through a direct connection. PockeTTY offers
    three kinds of connections:

    * SSH - Log into a remote machine through a secure connection
    without worrying about someone grabbing your password. Provides SSH1 and
    SSH2 support, a variety of encryption methods and MAC's, and the ability
    to forward ports.
    * Telnet - Easily connect to most any remote host in a flash! This
    unencrypted connection method is not recommended for login sessions, but
    for checking on your webserver it may be just what you need.
    * Serial - Connect directly to your IR port, configure your network
    gear, anything that can be reached through a serial line. A real treat
    for you hardcore geeky types!

    Also for async communications, I strongly suggest you ditch the built in
    client and give Zterm CE a try, or vxHpc.

    http://www.cam.com/vxhpc.html

    Best of luck to you

    John
    --
    Col. 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you
    teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing

  2. Re: Terminal / Telnet question for Windows CE / Pocket PC

    Thanks for the info. I downloaded a terminal client for our existing device,
    but was trying to avoid having to do that with the new ones.

    CL

+ Reply to Thread