Windows Remote Desktop over ssh - SSH

This is a discussion on Windows Remote Desktop over ssh - SSH ; Hi, I am wondering if someone has experience with Windows Desktop RDP over ssh. I have a windows XP computer at home. Unfortunately this is behind a router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Hi,
    I am wondering if someone has experience with Windows Desktop RDP over
    ssh.

    I have a windows XP computer at home. Unfortunately this is behind a
    router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside
    world. (I am running a cygwin sshd server on it.) I have a Linux PC
    outside where I work - and I sometimes need to connect to my home PC.
    I am wondering if I can ssh from my linux PC to my home PC and port
    forward - then use rdesktop to connect.

    What have I tried?
    I have read two articles about it at
    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html
    and
    http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/SSHTunnelRDP.htm

    When locally logged on to my home computer I have started the cygwin
    bash shell and tried

    ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 localhost

    Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390
    i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this worked.

    (Note: I have Win XP SP2 so I needed to install the patch at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...5BLN%5D;884020
    )

    I now logged on to my linux machine i.e. on the other side of the
    router and tried

    ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com

    I then started
    rdesktop 127.0.0.2:3390
    to get ERROR: connect: Connection refused (or rdesktop
    localhost:3390 with same failure)

    I also tried
    ssh -L 3390:localhost:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com
    and I still get the same failure.

    Lastly, I would like to note that windows remote desktop is enabled in
    my windows firewall.

    I hope someone has some ideas.
    Regards,
    O.O.

  2. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    "O. Olson" writes:

    > Hi,
    > I am wondering if someone has experience with Windows Desktop RDP over
    > ssh.

    [raises hand]

    > outside where I work - and I sometimes need to connect to my home PC.
    > I am wondering if I can ssh from my linux PC to my home PC and port
    > forward - then use rdesktop to connect.

    Should be able to. I've done it before, although not with my home
    pc.

    > When locally logged on to my home computer I have started the cygwin
    > bash shell and tried
    >
    > ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 localhost
    >
    > Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390
    > i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this
    > worked.

    127.0.0.2 ? I'm not entirely certain that's a legal address.

    Try

    ssh -L 3389:WINDOWSBOXIPADDRESS:3389 username@your.sshserver.hostname

    Then point the remote desktop at 127.0.0.1:3389 on your remote machine
    from which you launched the ssh client.

    WINDOWSBOXIPADDRESS would be the ip address it has on your lan, and
    that can't legally be 127.0.0.2. 192.168.0.x perhaps depending on
    your router's config.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    TH> 127.0.0.2 ? I'm not entirely certain that's a legal address.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "legal," but it's completely usable. The
    entire range 127.0.0.0/8 is reserved to mean "the same host," and there
    will generally be a route to that entire prefix pointing at the loopback
    interface, e.g.:

    [OS X]
    darwin:~% netstat -rn -f inet
    Routing tables

    Internet:
    Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
    127 127.0.0.1 UCS 1 0 lo0

    Now, whether addresses other than 127.0.0.1 depends on the OS. For
    instance, on OS X they are not. However, on WinXP, they are:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Richard E. Silverman>netstat -ran

    Route Table
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x2 ...00 0c 29 d4 42 13 ...... AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adapter - Packet S
    cheduler Miniport
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.230 10
    10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.230 10.1.1.230 10
    10.1.1.230 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 10
    10.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.230 10.1.1.230 10
    127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
    224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 10.1.1.230 10.1.1.230 10
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.230 10.1.1.230 1
    Default Gateway: 10.1.1.1
    Persistent Routes:
    None

    C:\Documents and Settings\Richard E. Silverman>ping 127.0.0.2

    Pinging 127.0.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

    Ping statistics for 127.0.0.2:

    Linux (at least kernel 2.6.11) does not even show a route for 127/0, but
    all those addresses are usable; there must be some internal mechanism that
    takes care of it.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  4. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Dear Todd,
    Thanks for responding. My internal LAN IP address is 10.1.169.25

    So I ended up trying

    ssh -L 3389: 10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname

    - this did not work.

    I then tried to see if this would work locally i.e. I tried

    ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:10.1.169.25:3389 localhost

    and then I can connect using the windows remote desktop to
    localhost:3390 - I cannot understand why the remote connection does
    not work.

    Thanks a lot.
    O.O.

  5. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Thanks Richard for your explanation - even I did not quite understand
    why I had to use the 127.0.0.2 - but I did it just because my
    research on the net (i.e. the two links I mentioned in my OP) mentioned
    that I try it.
    Anyway my problem is still not solved.
    Regards
    O.O.

  6. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Richard E. Silverman writes:
    >Now, whether addresses other than 127.0.0.1 depends on the OS. For
    >instance, on OS X they are not. However, on WinXP, they are: [...]

    On WinXP, this depends on the precise set of patches you have:

    A.7.20 Since I upgraded Windows XP to Service Pack 2, I can't use
    addresses like 127.0.0.2.

    Some people who ask PuTTY to listen on localhost addresses other
    than 127.0.0.1 to forward services such as SMB and Windows Terminal
    Services have found that doing so no longer works since they
    upgraded to WinXP SP2.

    This is apparently an issue with SP2 that is acknowledged by
    Microsoft in MS Knowledge Base article 884020[1]. The article links
    to a fix you can download.

    (_However_, we've been told that SP2 _also_ fixes the bug that means
    you need to use non-127.0.0.1 addresses to forward Terminal Services
    in the first place.)

    [1]

  7. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    O. Olson wrote:

    > ssh -L 3389: 10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname

    Before someone catches me here I would like to mention that I have
    tried both 3389 and 3390
    i.e.
    ssh -L 3389:10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname
    rdesktop localhost or rdesktop localhost:3389

    and
    ssh -L 3390:10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname
    rdesktop localhost:3390

    - and both have not worked.
    O.O.

  8. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    "O. Olson" writes:
    > O. Olson wrote:
    >
    > > ssh -L 3389: 10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname
    > >

    > Before someone catches me here I would like to mention that I have
    > tried both 3389 and 3390
    > i.e.
    > ssh -L 3389:10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname
    > rdesktop localhost or rdesktop localhost:3389
    >
    > and
    > ssh -L 3390:10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname
    > rdesktop localhost:3390
    >
    > - and both have not worked.

    Well poop.

    Try the -vv option with ssh, and see if it tells you anything useful
    when you try to rdesktop.

    Also run netstat -an| grep LISTEN on the Linux box to verify that is
    indeed listening to 3390 or 3389 when issuing the ssh command.

    Oh... one thing you may need to check is whether windows firewall is
    eating things. Do you have a hardware firewall such that you can
    safely drop windows firewall for testing?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  9. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    O. Olson wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am wondering if someone has experience with Windows Desktop RDP over
    > ssh.
    >
    > I have a windows XP computer at home. Unfortunately this is behind a
    > router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside
    > world. (I am running a cygwin sshd server on it.) I have a Linux PC
    > outside where I work - and I sometimes need to connect to my home PC.
    > I am wondering if I can ssh from my linux PC to my home PC and port
    > forward - then use rdesktop to connect.
    >
    > What have I tried?
    > I have read two articles about it at
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html
    > and
    > http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/SSHTunnelRDP.htm
    >
    > When locally logged on to my home computer I have started the cygwin
    > bash shell and tried
    >
    > ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 localhost
    >
    > Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390
    > i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this worked.
    >

    > (Note: I have Win XP SP2 so I needed to install the patch at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...5BLN%5D;884020
    > )
    >
    > I now logged on to my linux machine i.e. on the other side of the
    > router and tried
    >
    > ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com
    >
    > I then started
    > rdesktop 127.0.0.2:3390
    > to get ERROR: connect: Connection refused (or rdesktop
    > localhost:3390 with same failure)
    >
    > I also tried
    > ssh -L 3390:localhost:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com
    > and I still get the same failure.
    >
    > Lastly, I would like to note that windows remote desktop is enabled in
    > my windows firewall.
    >
    > I hope someone has some ideas.
    > Regards,

    Is the machine at home XP Pro or XP Home Edition? Home edition doesn't
    support remote desktop. What I have used instead is ultraVNC. It's not
    the same as rdp because it actually takes control of the console, but
    it's better than having nothing at all.

    If you have XP pro at home and sshd running you should be able to
    connect by running the following on the *client* (Linux) PC...

    ssh -L 3389:localhost:3389 username@homeIPaddress &

    Then specify localhost on the client as the IP address of your home PC.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

  10. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Chuck wrote:
    > O. Olson wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I am wondering if someone has experience with Windows Desktop RDP over
    >> ssh.
    >>
    >> I have a windows XP computer at home. Unfortunately this is behind a
    >> router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside
    >> world. (I am running a cygwin sshd server on it.) I have a Linux PC
    >> outside where I work - and I sometimes need to connect to my home PC.
    >> I am wondering if I can ssh from my linux PC to my home PC and port
    >> forward - then use rdesktop to connect.
    >>
    >> What have I tried?
    >> I have read two articles about it at
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html
    >> and
    >> http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/SSHTunnelRDP.htm
    >>
    >> When locally logged on to my home computer I have started the cygwin
    >> bash shell and tried
    >>
    >> ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 localhost
    >>
    >> Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390
    >> i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this worked.
    >>

    >> (Note: I have Win XP SP2 so I needed to install the patch at
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...5BLN%5D;884020
    >> )
    >>
    >> I now logged on to my linux machine i.e. on the other side of the
    >> router and tried
    >>
    >> ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com
    >>
    >> I then started
    >> rdesktop 127.0.0.2:3390
    >> to get ERROR: connect: Connection refused (or rdesktop
    >> localhost:3390 with same failure)
    >>
    >> I also tried
    >> ssh -L 3390:localhost:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com
    >> and I still get the same failure.
    >>
    >> Lastly, I would like to note that windows remote desktop is enabled in
    >> my windows firewall.
    >>
    >> I hope someone has some ideas.
    >> Regards,
    >>

    > Is the machine at home XP Pro or XP Home Edition? Home edition doesn't
    > support remote desktop. What I have used instead is ultraVNC. It's not
    > the same as rdp because it actually takes control of the console, but
    > it's better than having nothing at all.
    >
    > If you have XP pro at home and sshd running you should be able to
    > connect by running the following on the *client* (Linux) PC...
    >
    > ssh -L 3389:localhost:3389 username@homeIPaddress &
    >
    > Then specify localhost on the client as the IP address of your home PC.

    You might also want to include the -N option if all your doing is
    forwarding a port.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

  11. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Dear Todd,
    Thanks for replying. I think I partially solved this problem - because
    of your hint.

    Firstly I should admit that I am a plain windows user - though I work
    on Linux at the University. (University cannot afford Windows - so I
    have no option.) I am not familiar much with linux - though I have
    used port forwarding to connect to the campus SMTP server - and also
    used VNC over ssh sometimes.

    I tried your -vv option with ssh - and it reveals a lot of
    information. (If you want I can post it here.) From a visual inspection
    - it does not reveal that it has forwarded the ports neither does it
    tell me that it has failed to do it i.e. it does not mention it.)

    I think you may have hit the cause of the problem here - but I am
    still not sure. I tried netstat -an| grep LISTEN - and this reveals a
    lot of forwarded ports - but not any of the ports I try. So it could be
    that my ports are not being forwarded - I would talk to my net admin
    tomorrow if I have a chance. I then tried to ssh and forward ports to
    the next machine in my lab - but these ports also do not show up - so I
    am not sure if the ports really need to show up if they are forwarded
    or this could be some sort of a security setting. (I do however ssh to
    these machines and forward ports to my campus smtp server - so at least
    to that extent I know that port forwarding works here.)

    Taking a cue from my smtp port forwarding - I sshed into my home
    computer, and then I resshed back into my lab machine - this time
    forwarding the ports i.e.

    ssh -R 3389:localhost:3389 user@lab.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de

    I then
    rdesktop localhost -- and everything works. I don't know why it does
    not work the first time around.

    Thanks for your help - especially your hint about using the netstat to
    spy on forwarded ports.

    Regards,
    O.O.

  12. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Thanks Chuck. I have a Win XP Pro - and it has remote desktop.

    I am doing the ssh exactly as you have mentioned it - but I am not sure
    why it does not work. I am sure that my Windows Firewall is not doing
    any blocking. As mentioned in my previous post - this may be an issue
    with the Linux box that I am using. (Its not my computer - so I am not
    sure about the security settings.

    Regards,
    O.O

  13. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    O. Olson wrote:
    > Thanks Chuck. I have a Win XP Pro - and it has remote desktop.
    >
    > I am doing the ssh exactly as you have mentioned it - but I am not sure
    > why it does not work. I am sure that my Windows Firewall is not doing
    > any blocking. As mentioned in my previous post - this may be an issue
    > with the Linux box that I am using. (Its not my computer - so I am not
    > sure about the security settings.
    >
    > Regards,
    > O.O

    Could it be an issue with your company's FW at work?

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

  14. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Yes thats what I mentioned in my reply above to Todd - I dont think
    that its a firewall - I think its some settings on my Linux machine
    O.O.

  15. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    "O. Olson" writes:

    > Dear Todd,
    > Thanks for responding. My internal LAN IP address is 10.1.169.25
    >
    > So I ended up trying
    >
    > ssh -L 3389: 10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname
    >
    > - this did not work.

    Did you really have a space between the first colon and the 10? If
    so try without that space as in
    ssh -L 3389:10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname

    if that fails try
    ssh -L 3389:127.0.0.1:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname

    If it still doesn't work can you tell us what ssh server you're
    running on that windows box? Perhaps post the config file for the
    sshd? The symptoms you're telling us seem like perhaps port
    forwarding is turned off on your windows ssh server? But then again
    the test you did from the windows box to itself with
    -L3390:127.0.0.1:3389 and rdesktoping to 127.00.1:3390 I suppose rules
    that out.

    Another netstat command that might be helpful in debugging is
    sshclientmachine$ netstatn -an | grep 3389

    or whatever number you choose as the first port number in the -L
    argument. That'll narrow it down from all the other ports that might
    be listening.

    Strange that setting up the reverse listener works, but the forward
    one does not.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  16. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Thanks a lot Todd.

    Todd H. wrote:

    > Did you really have a space between the first colon and the 10? If
    > so try without that space as in
    > ssh -L 3389:10.1.169.25:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname

    On my windows - I am running the cygwin sshd and X server. While I
    was doing this testing - I was copying from X windows - and for god
    knows what reason - this gives a space between the first colon and
    the 10, when I paste the command elsewhere. (I usually manually delete
    the space - but this time I forgot.

    > if that fails try
    > ssh -L 3389:127.0.0.1:3389 usern...@your.sshserver.hostname

    Doesn't work either

    > If it still doesn't work can you tell us what ssh server you're
    > running on that windows box?

    Cygwin SSHD

    > Perhaps post the config file for the
    > sshd?

    # $OpenBSD: ssh_config,v 1.20 2005/01/28 09:45:53 dtucker Exp $

    # This is the ssh client system-wide configuration file. See
    # ssh_config(5) for more information. This file provides defaults for
    # users, and the values can be changed in per-user configuration files
    # or on the command line.

    # Configuration data is parsed as follows:
    # 1. command line options
    # 2. user-specific file
    # 3. system-wide file
    # Any configuration value is only changed the first time it is set.
    # Thus, host-specific definitions should be at the beginning of the
    # configuration file, and defaults at the end.

    # Site-wide defaults for some commonly used options. For a
    comprehensive
    # list of available options, their meanings and defaults, please see
    the
    # ssh_config(5) man page.

    # Host *
    # ForwardAgent no
    # ForwardX11 no
    # RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    # RSAAuthentication yes
    StrictHostKeyChecking no
    PasswordAuthentication no
    PermitEmptyPasswords yes
    # HostbasedAuthentication no
    # BatchMode no
    # CheckHostIP yes
    # AddressFamily any
    # ConnectTimeout 0
    # StrictHostKeyChecking ask
    # IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
    # IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa
    # IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa
    # Port 22
    # Protocol 2,1
    # Cipher 3des
    # Ciphers
    aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc
    # EscapeChar ~

    > The symptoms you're telling us seem like perhaps port
    > forwarding is turned off on your windows ssh server? But then again
    > the test you did from the windows box to itself with
    > -L3390:127.0.0.1:3389 and rdesktoping to 127.00.1:3390 I suppose rules
    > that out.

    I think port forwarding is turned off on my Linux machine - I would
    have to talk to my network admin about it.

    > Another netstat command that might be helpful in debugging is
    > sshclientmachine$ netstatn -an | grep 3389

    This command gives no output - so that's why I am thinking that
    port forwarding is actually not taking place.

    > Strange that setting up the reverse listener works, but the forward
    > one does not.

    Even I found it strange - at least now since I have a way I can
    automate it - even if it seems odd.

    Thanks once again.
    O.O.

  17. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    1) use ONLY your public IP addresses, not the 127.*.*.* OR
    at least use your DHCP address assigned.
    2) for public accesss from the Internet,you must port forward off your
    router, whatever port you are attempting, to the DHCP ip of the machine
    holding that port open, AND
    3) allow your firewall to accept port XX from any

    --
    ---
    Jeff B (remove the No-Spam to reply)

  18. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Jeff B wrote:
    > 1) use ONLY your public IP addresses, not the 127.*.*.* OR
    > at least use your DHCP address assigned.
    > 2) for public accesss from the Internet,you must port forward off your
    > router, whatever port you are attempting, to the DHCP ip of the machine
    > holding that port open, AND
    > 3) allow your firewall to accept port XX from any

    Thanks Jeff. In my original post I did not know about the use of only
    public address - but in my later posts - I have already tried this.

    I have not understood if you are suggesting that I try something else
    - to get this to work.
    O.O.

  19. Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

    Jeff B writes:

    > 1) use ONLY your public IP addresses, not the 127.*.*.* OR
    > at least use your DHCP address assigned.

    As a datapoint, I have used 127.0.0.1 in the -L argument before with
    no trouble.

    > 2) for public accesss from the Internet,you must port forward off your
    > router, whatever port you are attempting, to the DHCP ip of the
    > machine holding that port open, AND

    I'm not sure if I understand this advice re: whihc port you're
    discussing. In my experience, only the ssh port (typically
    22) needs to be open on the router, although you do have to statically
    forward that port to the IP of the windows computer in this case.

    Inbound Port 3389 does not need to be open on the router in the
    instances I've attempted. The reason is that the traffic is encrypted
    within the tunnel via inbound port 22.

    > 3) allow your firewall to accept port XX from any

    Indeed, and forwarded to the appropriate machine's IP on the internal
    LAN.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/