Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel - SSH

This is a discussion on Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel - SSH ; Hello, I am very new to the world of encrypted and remote communications, etc... I have joined a service that provides VPN and SSH Tunnels. I have no problem with the VPN, and unfortunetely I seem to only have one ...

  1. Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel

    Hello, I am very new to the world of encrypted and remote communications,
    etc...

    I have joined a service that provides VPN and SSH Tunnels. I have no
    problem with the VPN,
    and unfortunetely I seem to only have one prob. with the SSH Tunn. The fact
    is that the only way
    I seem to avoid the error "server unexpectedly closed network connection" is
    by turning off Norton's
    firewall. And that presents a worry some case for me.

    I've tried doing a few things but does not seem to help at all. Including
    emailing those connected with
    the use of, and develpmont of the SSH tunnel program and even giving full
    permision of the Putty
    program in the firewall, to no avail.

    My system is running WinXP sp2.

    Any suggestions appreciated or if you can point me in the right direction
    to learn more about my tech. difficulty.

    Thank you, much.

  2. Re: Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel

    News Groups wrote:
    > Hello, I am very new to the world of encrypted and remote communications,
    > etc...
    >
    > I have joined a service that provides VPN and SSH Tunnels. I have no
    > problem with the VPN,
    > and unfortunetely I seem to only have one prob. with the SSH Tunn. The fact
    > is that the only way
    > I seem to avoid the error "server unexpectedly closed network connection" is
    > by turning off Norton's
    > firewall. And that presents a worry some case for me.
    >
    > I've tried doing a few things but does not seem to help at all. Including
    > emailing those connected with
    > the use of, and develpmont of the SSH tunnel program and even giving full
    > permision of the Putty
    > program in the firewall, to no avail.
    >
    > My system is running WinXP sp2.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated or if you can point me in the right direction
    > to learn more about my tech. difficulty.
    >
    > Thank you, much.

    Is it possible you have both Windows FW and Norton FW turned on? If so
    pick one and disable the other. Believe it or not, my eMachines computer
    came with both enabled out of the box.

    I'm also a little unclear as to what is running where and what you are
    trying to do. Is the WinXP SP2 machine the one you're connecting to or
    from? If you're trying to connect to it from a remote location, are you
    running the SSH service on that machine?

  3. Re: Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel

    All very very good suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to
    respond.
    Luckily the service I use for VPN that also supplies services for SSH
    tunnels had also responded (will
    wonders ever cease ) and apparently the firewall protects programs that
    launch other programs (which
    apperently the program does (.bat files that launch other files). So it was
    simply adding the *.bat and other
    file to the allowed list of programs that launch other programs.

    Well, kind of simple, I seem to be past that problem, but of course, not
    to make anything worth having to
    easy, I am know experiencing time outs and such I assume it still
    something to do with the firewall.
    Atleast I am learning a little out of it!

    Thank you again for your time and suggestions!!!

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > News Groups wrote:
    >> Hello, I am very new to the world of encrypted and remote
    >> communications,
    >> etc...
    >>
    >> I have joined a service that provides VPN and SSH Tunnels. I have no
    >> problem with the VPN,
    >> and unfortunetely I seem to only have one prob. with the SSH Tunn. The
    >> fact
    >> is that the only way
    >> I seem to avoid the error "server unexpectedly closed network connection"
    >> is
    >> by turning off Norton's
    >> firewall. And that presents a worry some case for me.
    >>
    >> I've tried doing a few things but does not seem to help at all.
    >> Including
    >> emailing those connected with
    >> the use of, and develpmont of the SSH tunnel program and even giving full
    >> permision of the Putty
    >> program in the firewall, to no avail.
    >>
    >> My system is running WinXP sp2.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions appreciated or if you can point me in the right
    >> direction
    >> to learn more about my tech. difficulty.
    >>
    >> Thank you, much.
    >>

    > Is it possible you have both Windows FW and Norton FW turned on? If so
    > pick one and disable the other. Believe it or not, my eMachines computer
    > came with both enabled out of the box.
    >
    > I'm also a little unclear as to what is running where and what you are
    > trying to do. Is the WinXP SP2 machine the one you're connecting to or
    > from? If you're trying to connect to it from a remote location, are you
    > running the SSH service on that machine?

  4. Re: Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel

    I'm a little curious about this "service" you subscribe to. If you don't
    mind me asking, what is it, and what does it offer that you can't get
    for free with OpenSSH, OpenVPN, or the free VPN that's built into
    Windows XP?

    Chuck

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

  5. Re: Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel

    No not at all, appreciate someone taking some interest. My problem is
    that I am pretty new to trying and protect what information I have on my
    system (with firewall, antivirus programs ,etc..) and to find out that
    having a firewall protects your system to a certain point, that the
    information that travel to and from the net are vulnerable in many different
    ways. Which I learned by accident one day when reading information on a
    site that talked about VPN'S and SSH for which is extremely new to me.
    Although I've learned a LITTLE about VPN, SSH proxies and SSH tunnels, I was
    not aware that any were included with WinXP home or that there were free
    services available to the general public for use.

    If I had been, I would still be a little wary, as I am not sure of how
    much of my privacy is assured.
    From what I understand, a VPN is an encrypted type of security that is
    between one system (in my case my single computer) and another that can act
    as sort of a filter. As with the service I have, they allow me to
    communicate through there IP address. Therefore addresses I go to, should
    they decide to send spam , virill, whatever back to that location, it will
    simply timeout. However, from what little I have read thus far, it is a
    much less well encryption than the SSH tunnel that is provided, which is
    using 128-bit encryption. (although they have a third option which they call
    SSH proxy, it apparently offers no encryption while running).

    One of the benefits I liked was the fact that if I can get the SSH Tunnel
    to run, it should block 3rd party programs from calling out to places I do
    not necessarily know. Plus it keeps my information to myself from most
    places, including my ISP. (If I wish to correspond with the C.I.A. about
    what they really knew about the JFK assasination or visit sites on UFO'S
    (joking on both) it should be my business ?!.). Plus until a couple of
    months ago I did not reaslise that doing things, such as, downloading free
    programs, could have 3rd party software or coding installed with said
    programs. Although the last sentance doesn't have anything to do with
    encrypted communications, it tells me that there is a lot out there that I
    do not understand, and until I do, I should do everything I can to protect
    my system and myself. I was a little surprised when I read that programs
    like real media report back to their operator, what programs you run, etc..
    on their media without a lot of people realising it.

    So the bottom line is, I don't really know the difference between the
    apparently free encrypted services that are out there and those that are
    charging for such. So any information that I can learn through these NG'S
    are a large help. And unforunetely once I have a problem with something, I
    really want to find out why it doesn't work. Even if I find a work around, I
    like to figure out why the heck the darn thing is not working the way it is
    supposed to. Atleast in electronics one can find the problem and trace it
    back to the source of the problem.

    And to make things worse, I had added the program putty.exe and cmd.exe to
    the allowed programs list in norton firewall and it had worked past that one
    error of "server unexpectently closed connection", after a reboot, I now get
    the same error even though I don't believe anything has changed..I love
    computers, so fluid

    Again thank you for your interest and any feedback will be read and found
    interesting !

    Take care.

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > I'm a little curious about this "service" you subscribe to. If you don't
    > mind me asking, what is it, and what does it offer that you can't get
    > for free with OpenSSH, OpenVPN, or the free VPN that's built into
    > Windows XP?
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    > News Groups wrote:
    >> All very very good suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to
    >> respond.
    >> Luckily the service I use for VPN that also supplies services for SSH
    >> tunnels had also responded (will
    >> wonders ever cease ) and apparently the firewall protects programs that
    >> launch other programs (which
    >> apperently the program does (.bat files that launch other files). So it
    >> was
    >> simply adding the *.bat and other
    >> file to the allowed list of programs that launch other programs.
    >>
    >> Well, kind of simple, I seem to be past that problem, but of course,
    >> not
    >> to make anything worth having to
    >> easy, I am know experiencing time outs and such I assume it still
    >> something to do with the firewall.
    >> Atleast I am learning a little out of it!
    >>
    >> Thank you again for your time and suggestions!!!
    >>

    >> "Chuck" wrote in message

    >>> Is it possible you have both Windows FW and Norton FW turned on? If so
    >>> pick one and disable the other. Believe it or not, my eMachines computer
    >>> came with both enabled out of the box.
    >>>
    >>> I'm also a little unclear as to what is running where and what you are
    >>> trying to do. Is the WinXP SP2 machine the one you're connecting to or
    >>> from? If you're trying to connect to it from a remote location, are you
    >>> running the SSH service on that machine?

    > --
    > To reply by email remove "_nospam"

  6. Re: Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel

    Short definition of VPN (BTW you can probably get a better definition at
    www.wikipedia.org).

    VPN stands for virtual private network. It acts like a secure hardwired
    network connection between two computers and creates a virtual (software
    based) network adapter on both. All network traffic on that interface is
    encrypted and tunneled over another network such as the Internet.
    Functionally it really is just like having a hardwire between the two
    computers and it's just as secure.

    I use OpenVPN even though it's not as simple to set up as the one MS
    provides with WinXP because it was more configurable. In other words it
    allowed me to choose which TCP port # to tunnel through. The MS one does
    not and my company's firewall blocks the port it uses. Either VPN
    however is as secure as you're going to get. Nobody is going to see the
    data being sent back and forth. Now if someone installs malware on one
    of the computers it can access the data just like any other program can.

    The MS VPN uses a protocol called IPSEC. OpenVPN uses one called SSL. If
    SSL is ever cracked, we have a lot more to worry about then who's going
    to snoop the traffic to your little PC though. It's the protocol that's
    uses to secure almost all sensitive data on the Internet. In other words
    if it ever gets cracked we're all in deep doodoo.

    OpenVPN did not have an easy to use wizard to set it up, but the
    how-to's on the Internet, and comments in the config files were very
    helpful.

    SSH tunneling is similar in that it creates a secure channel over
    another network such as the Internet. It's different in that it's not a
    virtual network adapter. Instead it forwards only the specified TCP
    ports to a remote server. It too is considered secure. Secure enough
    that the company I work for exchanges sensitive financial data every day
    with our trading partners using it.

    HTH.

    BTW is the service LogMeIn.com? I use that sometimes for remote control
    of my home computer. I prefer to use other solutions only because there
    is a third party involved and I don't know how much I can trust them.
    But if I'm on a public computer and don't have my other VPN or ssh
    software installed, I can still access my home computer.
    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

+ Reply to Thread