sftp drops packets for large file - SSH

This is a discussion on sftp drops packets for large file - SSH ; Hi All Has anyone seen this error message when trying to send a large file? ssh_packet_wrapper_send_encode_va: flow control problems; outgoing packet dropped. I cannot sftp any file larger than 300KB. The two sshd servers are SSH 2.0.1 and OpenSSH 4.2p1. ...

  1. sftp drops packets for large file

    Hi All

    Has anyone seen this error message when trying to send a large file?

    ssh_packet_wrapper_send_encode_va: flow control problems; outgoing
    packet dropped.

    I cannot sftp any file larger than 300KB.

    The two sshd servers are SSH 2.0.1 and OpenSSH 4.2p1. Both are on
    Solaris 8 Sparc.

    Thanks

    - AI

  2. Re: sftp drops packets for large file

    Just out of curiosity, does the same problem happen with scp?

  3. Re: sftp drops packets for large file

    vadud3> Hi All Has anyone seen this error message when trying to send
    vadud3> a large file?

    vadud3> ssh_packet_wrapper_send_encode_va: flow control problems;
    vadud3> outgoing packet dropped.

    vadud3> I cannot sftp any file larger than 300KB.

    vadud3> The two sshd servers are SSH 2.0.1 and OpenSSH 4.2p1. Both are
    vadud3> on Solaris 8 Sparc.

    I suppose you mean that one of them is the client.

    Considering that SSH-2.0.1 is several years old, I'm not surprised there
    are bugs or incompatibilities. This particular problem looks like an
    internal error; the comment in the source says it happens when an outgoing
    packet would overflow an internal buffer.

    Upgrade.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  4. Re: sftp drops packets for large file

    "Richard E. Silverman" wrote in message

    > vadud3> Hi All Has anyone seen this error message when trying to send
    > vadud3> a large file?
    >
    > vadud3> ssh_packet_wrapper_send_encode_va: flow control problems;
    > vadud3> outgoing packet dropped.
    >
    > vadud3> I cannot sftp any file larger than 300KB.
    >
    > vadud3> The two sshd servers are SSH 2.0.1 and OpenSSH 4.2p1. Both are
    > vadud3> on Solaris 8 Sparc.
    >
    > I suppose you mean that one of them is the client.
    >
    > Considering that SSH-2.0.1 is several years old, I'm not surprised there
    > are bugs or incompatibilities. This particular problem looks like an
    > internal error; the comment in the source says it happens when an outgoing
    > packet would overflow an internal buffer.

    For large file duplications, I highly recomend "rsync -avH -e ssh". I've
    used it with great success for extremely large files across a variety of
    operating systems, and it's handy for not duplicating things that are
    already present.

  5. Re: sftp drops packets for large file

    NKG> "Richard E. Silverman" wrote in message

    vadud3> Hi All Has anyone seen this error message when trying to send
    vadud3> a large file?

    vadud3> ssh_packet_wrapper_send_encode_va: flow control problems;
    vadud3> outgoing packet dropped.

    vadud3> I cannot sftp any file larger than 300KB.

    vadud3> The two sshd servers are SSH 2.0.1 and OpenSSH 4.2p1. Both are
    vadud3> on Solaris 8 Sparc.
    >> I suppose you mean that one of them is the client.
    >>
    >> Considering that SSH-2.0.1 is several years old, I'm not surprised
    >> there are bugs or incompatibilities. This particular problem looks
    >> like an internal error; the comment in the source says it happens
    >> when an outgoing packet would overflow an internal buffer.

    NKG> For large file duplications, I highly recomend "rsync -avH -e
    NKG> ssh". I've used it with great success for extremely large files
    NKG> across a variety of operating systems, and it's handy for not
    NKG> duplicating things that are already present.

    It's not clear that this would help here, since the problem is with the
    "ssh" program, which is the tranport in either case.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  6. Re: sftp drops packets for large file

    Sorry I meant SSH-2.0.13.

    Client is running OpenSSH 4.2p1 and Server running SSH-2.0.13

  7. Re: sftp drops packets for large file

    Exact same problem. The only way I can make the file transfer is when
    both ssh are same version. SSH or OpenSSH but not a mix.

+ Reply to Thread