sshd not logging Invalid user - SSH

This is a discussion on sshd not logging Invalid user - SSH ; On Fedora core, with kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 and openssh-4.2p1-fc4.1 sshd was logging Invalid user in /var/log/secure up to a few days ago, but now it is not. The sshd log level is set to VERBOSE. It could be something I did, ...

  1. sshd not logging Invalid user

    On Fedora core, with

    kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
    and
    openssh-4.2p1-fc4.1

    sshd was logging Invalid user in /var/log/secure
    up to a few days ago, but now it is not. The sshd
    log level is set to VERBOSE. It could be something
    I did, but what?

    Thanks for your help.
    Mike.

  2. Re: sshd not logging Invalid user

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:52:21 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    > On Fedora core, with
    >
    > kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
    > and
    > openssh-4.2p1-fc4.1
    >
    > sshd was logging Invalid user in /var/log/secure
    > up to a few days ago, but now it is not. The sshd
    > log level is set to VERBOSE. It could be something
    > I did, but what?

    Well seeing how we have no idea what you might have done we can't say one
    way or the other.

    What have you changed lately?

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!

  3. Re: sshd not logging Invalid user

    Robert wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:52:21 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    >
    >> On Fedora core, with
    >>
    >> kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
    >> and
    >> openssh-4.2p1-fc4.1
    >>
    >> sshd was logging Invalid user in /var/log/secure
    >> up to a few days ago, but now it is not. The sshd
    >> log level is set to VERBOSE. It could be something
    >> I did, but what?

    > Well seeing how we have no idea what you might have done we can't say one
    > way or the other.
    >
    > What have you changed lately?

    I added a few things to /etc/logrotate.d/syslog.
    I have a complex libipq daemon under development.
    I have swatch watching /var/log/secure, but this is not new.

    None of this should have the observed effect without also preventing
    "Connection from" from appearing in the secure file. "Connection from"
    continues to appear. Your comment inspired me to review the code to
    assure that this last statement is correct. In particular,
    port 22 is either blocked, or it is not. There is nothing in the code
    that should effect system logging.

    Mike.

  4. Re: sshd not logging Invalid user

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:08:54 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    > Robert wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:52:21 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fedora core, with
    >>>
    >>> kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
    >>> and
    >>> openssh-4.2p1-fc4.1
    >>>
    >>> sshd was logging Invalid user in /var/log/secure
    >>> up to a few days ago, but now it is not. The sshd
    >>> log level is set to VERBOSE. It could be something
    >>> I did, but what?

    >> Well seeing how we have no idea what you might have done we can't say one
    >> way or the other.
    >>
    >> What have you changed lately?
    >>

    > I added a few things to /etc/logrotate.d/syslog.
    > I have a complex libipq daemon under development.
    > I have swatch watching /var/log/secure, but this is not new.
    >
    > None of this should have the observed effect without also preventing
    > "Connection from" from appearing in the secure file. "Connection from"
    > continues to appear. Your comment inspired me to review the code to
    > assure that this last statement is correct. In particular,
    > port 22 is either blocked, or it is not. There is nothing in the code
    > that should effect system logging.
    >
    > Mike.

    It turned out to be an error in the testing procedure.
    My apologies.
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread