Free SSH daemons/services for Windows? - SSH

This is a discussion on Free SSH daemons/services for Windows? - SSH ; Currently, I use the default telnet services that comes with Windows XP and 2000, but we all know it is insecured. Is there a free small SSH server I can use download and install to replace telnet server/daemon? It needs ...

  1. Free SSH daemons/services for Windows?

    Currently, I use the default telnet services that comes with Windows XP
    and 2000, but we all know it is insecured. Is there a free small SSH
    server I can use download and install to replace telnet server/daemon?
    It needs to small and not hog RAM. Basically, I just need cmd.exe access
    with security and I don't use it often.

    I looked at http://www.openssh.org/windows.html and didn't see any. They
    all appear to be clients based.

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny." --Saturday Night Live FAQ: Deep Thoughts
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Free SSH daemons/services for Windows?

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:51:45 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > Currently, I use the default telnet services that comes with Windows XP
    > and 2000, but we all know it is insecured. Is there a free small SSH
    > server I can use download and install to replace telnet server/daemon?
    > It needs to small and not hog RAM. Basically, I just need cmd.exe access
    > with security and I don't use it often.

    I've used the cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) port of OpenSSH previously
    on my XP desktop and it has worked fine for logging back to it.

    Dave

  3. Re: Free SSH daemons/services for Windows?

    Dave Burke wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:51:45 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > > Currently, I use the default telnet services that comes with Windows XP
    > > and 2000, but we all know it is insecured. Is there a free small SSH
    > > server I can use download and install to replace telnet server/daemon?
    > > It needs to small and not hog RAM. Basically, I just need cmd.exe access
    > > with security and I don't use it often.

    > I've used the cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) port of OpenSSH previously
    > on my XP desktop and it has worked fine for logging back to it.

    How does this cygwin work? I have to download its setup program to get
    its suite and then download the ssh service? It sounds like I will be
    needing a lot of disk space?

    --
    "Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny." --Saturday Night Live FAQ: Deep Thoughts
    /\___/\
    ( )

  4. Re: Free SSH daemons/services for Windows?

    ANTant@zimage.com writes:
    > Dave Burke wrote:
    > > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:51:45 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > > > Currently, I use the default telnet services that comes with Windows XP
    > > > and 2000, but we all know it is insecured. Is there a free small SSH
    > > > server I can use download and install to replace telnet server/daemon?
    > > > It needs to small and not hog RAM. Basically, I just need cmd.exe access
    > > > with security and I don't use it often.

    > > I've used the cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) port of OpenSSH previously
    > > on my XP desktop and it has worked fine for logging back to it.

    > How does this cygwin work? I have to download its setup program to get
    > its suite and then download the ssh service? It sounds like I will be
    > needing a lot of disk space?

    Cygwin is a framework for porting unix goodies (like openssh) to the
    windows world.

    It isn't terribly tiny, but it's not hugemongous either.

    If you aren't opposed to paying money, Vshell Server from VanDyke is a
    more elegant solution than cygwin's openssh. But if you want a free
    option, cygwin openssh is the one that a lot of folks use.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Free SSH daemons/services for Windows?

    > > > I've used the cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) port of OpenSSH previously
    > > > on my XP desktop and it has worked fine for logging back to it.

    > > How does this cygwin work? I have to download its setup program to get
    > > its suite and then download the ssh service? It sounds like I will be
    > > needing a lot of disk space?

    > Cygwin is a framework for porting unix goodies (like openssh) to the
    > windows world.

    > It isn't terribly tiny, but it's not hugemongous either.

    > If you aren't opposed to paying money, Vshell Server from VanDyke is a
    > more elegant solution than cygwin's openssh. But if you want a free
    > option, cygwin openssh is the one that a lot of folks use.

    Someone told me about copSSH:
    http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php...position=22:22

    I like it!
    --
    "Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny." --Saturday Night Live FAQ: Deep Thoughts
    /\___/\
    ( )

+ Reply to Thread