Logging openssh - SSH

This is a discussion on Logging openssh - SSH ; Hi, last -n 20 wtmp shows me the last user that have logged in, but I wanna know which passwords they have tried ... I'm using Openssh for Windows v3.8.1 In the var/log directory there are 3 files lastlog wtmp ...

  1. Logging openssh

    Hi,

    last -n 20 wtmp shows me the last user that have logged in,
    but I wanna know which passwords they have tried ...

    I'm using Openssh for Windows v3.8.1

    In the var/log directory there are 3 files

    lastlog
    wtmp
    and opensshd.log , which is empty

    any idea ?

    thanks a lot

  2. Re: Logging openssh

    RG> Hi,

    RG> last -n 20 wtmp shows me the last user that have logged in, but I
    RG> wanna know which passwords they have tried ...

    RG> I'm using Openssh for Windows v3.8.1

    RG> In the var/log directory there are 3 files

    RG> lastlog wtmp and opensshd.log , which is empty

    RG> any idea ?

    OpenSSH does not log people's passwords, for fairly obvious reasons.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Logging openssh

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > RG> lastlog wtmp and opensshd.log , which is empty
    > OpenSSH does not log people's passwords, for fairly obvious reasons.

    no service logs passwords to wtmp !
    In fact, the password is a one-way hash function; ie, the password
    is 'hashed' and compared to the value in /etc/passwd or its
    corresponding position in shaddow file.

    --
    ---
    Jeff B (remove the No-Spam to reply)

  4. Re: Logging openssh

    ok, thanks

    This is really obvious

    "Richard E. Silverman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:m2u0cmyp8q.fsf@darwin.oankali.net...

    > RG> Hi,
    >
    > RG> last -n 20 wtmp shows me the last user that have logged in, but I
    > RG> wanna know which passwords they have tried ...
    >
    > RG> I'm using Openssh for Windows v3.8.1
    >
    > RG> In the var/log directory there are 3 files
    >
    > RG> lastlog wtmp and opensshd.log , which is empty
    >
    > RG> any idea ?
    >
    > OpenSSH does not log people's passwords, for fairly obvious reasons.
    >
    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread