Controlling a second machine on the same desk - SSH

This is a discussion on Controlling a second machine on the same desk - SSH ; I can find plenty of stuff on presenting a remote desktop or apps on the client machine using ssh, but I'm struggling a little with this one... (Winter brain lockdown.) Two machines, almost side by side. One is used for ...

  1. Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    I can find plenty of stuff on presenting a remote desktop or
    apps on the client machine using ssh, but I'm struggling a
    little with this one... (Winter brain lockdown.)

    Two machines, almost side by side. One is used for internet
    work, and the other is nailed down apart from an ssh
    connection to the internet machine. As both are on the same
    physical desk, all that is required is that one machine's
    keyboard/mouse can control both. (Not simultaniously of
    course, but easily switching between machines) The display
    would remain on the internet machine, and be controlled by
    the other machine's keyboard/mouse remotely.

    Can somebody point me at some documentation, or give me a
    shove in the right direction on this one?

    Mike@N.UK
    --
    ----
    * MikesBrain+WebStuff @ http://tinyurl.com/5ayqt

  2. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    VNC, or a hardware KVM switch?

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    2005-12-28, Responding to Richard E. Silverman...

    > VNC, or a hardware KVM switch?

    They are options, but I was hoping to avoid adding more
    hardware, or loading up on more software, just to save
    having to swivel to another keyboard that takes up more
    deskspace.

    I suppose the general logic would be that if you're going to
    use a remote control mechanism like ssh, you may as well use
    just the client monitor as well. I'd like to leave the
    internet machine's display on the internet machine.

    I was thinking that if I can run apps from the internet
    machine on the offline machine, why not just remote control
    the internet machine via ssh? Or is this beyond the
    design/function of ssh maybe?

    Mike@N.UK
    --
    ----
    * MikesBrain+WebStuff @ http://tinyurl.com/5ayqt
    - Schauen Sie immer auf der hellen Seite des Lebens!

  4. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    MikesBrain writes:

    > 2005-12-28, Responding to Richard E. Silverman...
    > >
    > > VNC, or a hardware KVM switch?
    > >

    > They are options, but I was hoping to avoid adding more
    > hardware, or loading up on more software, just to save
    > having to swivel to another keyboard that takes up more
    > deskspace.

    Well yer gonna need one or the other cus SSH ain't gonna get you where
    you want to go by itself. Unless everything you want to do over the
    internet machine is command line oriented. SSH won't give you full
    function on the 2nd machine unless the internet machine is a unix box
    and you also add X server software to the other machine. VNC is a
    little better alternative. VNC is also free and gives you full
    graphical control of the desktop gui (as X + ssh would), but has the
    additional benefit of reconnectable sessions.

    A KVM switch uses a single keyboard mouse and video display to switch
    among controlling multiple machines. The only hardware you'd be
    adding is the switch and its associated cables, which are quite small
    and do not take up desk space. You'd push a button and suddenly your
    console is connected to the other machine.

    With that, you could have your "offline" machine be truly offline.
    That network connection and ssh between them wouldn't be required.
    However, ssh and a network is very handy for many things, but they do
    come at a price of being on the network and susceptible to being
    penetrated, whilst a disconnected machine becomes awfully hard to hack
    remotely.

    One possibility, a Linksys 2-port KVM with integrated cables. Low
    cost. Dunno how nice it is though.

    VNC (server and client, available for all platforms that matter)
    http://www.realvnc.com/download.html
    see also TightVNC, UltraVNC and others.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    MikesBrain wrote:
    >They are options, but I was hoping to avoid adding more
    >hardware, or loading up on more software

    I'm not sure I understand. You want to share a keyboard and mouse (but not
    display), but you don't want to use hardware or software to do so?

    If you want a software solution, take a look at Synergy
    (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) - it does exactly what you want: shares
    keyboard and mouse without sharing a display. It can tunnel over SSH
    (like most tcp apps) if encryption is desired. A KVM (and just don't connect
    the displays to it, leave them separate) is a fine hardware idea.

    VNC will remote the display in addition to the mouse and keyboard.

    >I suppose the general logic would be that if you're going to
    >use a remote control mechanism like ssh, you may as well use
    >just the client monitor as well

    SSH is not a remote control mechanism, nor does it claim to be. It's job is
    to encrypt a teminal connection or tunnel.

    >I was thinking that if I can run apps from the internet
    >machine on the offline machine, why not just remote control
    >the internet machine via ssh? Or is this beyond the
    >design/function of ssh maybe?

    Yes. If you want remote control of a machine, you must use remote control
    hardware or software. You may choose to use it over SSH if you want the
    connection and encryption support that it provides, but ssh by itself doesn't
    address this problem.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net

  6. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    2005-12-28, Responding to Todd H....

    [...]
    > A KVM switch uses a single keyboard mouse and video display to switch
    > among controlling multiple machines. The only hardware you'd be
    > adding is the switch and its associated cables, which are quite small
    > and do not take up desk space. You'd push a button and suddenly your
    > console is connected to the other machine.
    >
    > With that, you could have your "offline" machine be truly offline.
    > That network connection and ssh between them wouldn't be required.
    > However, ssh and a network is very handy for many things, but they do
    > come at a price of being on the network and susceptible to being
    > penetrated, whilst a disconnected machine becomes awfully hard to hack
    > remotely.

    You make a damn fine case for a KVM here. I think I need to
    reconsider this option.

    Thanks for the "logics".

    Mike@N.UK
    --
    ----
    * MikesBrain+WebStuff @ http://tinyurl.com/5ayqt
    - Schauen Sie immer auf der hellen Seite des Lebens!

  7. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    2005-12-28, Responding to Mark Rafn...

    [...]
    > SSH is not a remote control mechanism, nor does it claim
    > to be. It's job is to encrypt a teminal connection or
    > tunnel.

    Yeah, I kinda figured that, but one does become confidant
    that anything is possible with Open Source software.

    I think that KVM idea is looking the more practical idea.

    Thanks for the help.

    Mike@N.UK
    --
    ----
    * MikesBrain+WebStuff @ http://tinyurl.com/5ayqt
    - Schauen Sie immer auf der hellen Seite des Lebens!

  8. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    "MikesBrain" wrote in message
    news:qVEsf.28818$D47.13156@fe3.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > 2005-12-28, Responding to Mark Rafn...
    >
    > [...]
    >> SSH is not a remote control mechanism, nor does it claim
    >> to be. It's job is to encrypt a teminal connection or
    >> tunnel.
    >>

    > Yeah, I kinda figured that, but one does become confidant
    > that anything is possible with Open Source software.
    >
    > I think that KVM idea is looking the more practical idea.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    It won't let you cut&paste things from one machine's console to another.
    I've found that to be very useful for doing side-by-side comparisons.

    What you need depends on what you plan to do with it. I've used KVM's, VNC,
    and X Windows from all sorts of platforms to all sorts of others, and they
    all have trade-offs.

  9. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    MikesBrain writes:

    >I can find plenty of stuff on presenting a remote desktop or
    >apps on the client machine using ssh, but I'm struggling a
    >little with this one... (Winter brain lockdown.)

    >Two machines, almost side by side. One is used for internet
    >work, and the other is nailed down apart from an ssh
    >connection to the internet machine. As both are on the same
    >physical desk, all that is required is that one machine's
    >keyboard/mouse can control both. (Not simultaniously of
    >course, but easily switching between machines) The display
    >would remain on the internet machine, and be controlled by
    >the other machine's keyboard/mouse remotely.

    >Can somebody point me at some documentation, or give me a
    >shove in the right direction on this one?

    This is a physical question not a software one. There exist switches which
    allow you to connect one keyboard/monitor/mouse to a variety of machines.
    Some are mechanical but most now are electronic.

    >Mike@N.UK
    >--
    >----
    >* MikesBrain+WebStuff @ http://tinyurl.com/5ayqt
    >- Schauen Sie immer auf der hellen Seite des Lebens!

  10. Re: Controlling a second machine on the same desk

    MikesBrain writes:

    >2005-12-28, Responding to Richard E. Silverman...
    >>
    >> VNC, or a hardware KVM switch?
    >>

    >They are options, but I was hoping to avoid adding more
    >hardware, or loading up on more software, just to save
    >having to swivel to another keyboard that takes up more
    >deskspace.

    >I suppose the general logic would be that if you're going to
    >use a remote control mechanism like ssh, you may as well use
    >just the client monitor as well. I'd like to leave the
    >internet machine's display on the internet machine.

    >I was thinking that if I can run apps from the internet
    >machine on the offline machine, why not just remote control
    >the internet machine via ssh? Or is this beyond the
    >design/function of ssh maybe?

    You have that extra machine disconnected from everything for a reason. Now
    you want to connect it up. If you do not give a damn about the securityof
    that machine, then use ssh. You can tunnel X across ssh.

    >Mike@N.UK
    >--
    >----
    >* MikesBrain+WebStuff @ http://tinyurl.com/5ayqt
    >- Schauen Sie immer auf der hellen Seite des Lebens!

+ Reply to Thread