Monitor Incoming requests for ssh..? - SSH

This is a discussion on Monitor Incoming requests for ssh..? - SSH ; Hi all, I am new member of this group. i want to get intimated when an ssh connection attempt is made to my system. When any body connects to my machine through ssh..... i want that to be informed through ...

  1. Monitor Incoming requests for ssh..?

    Hi all,

    I am new member of this group.
    i want to get intimated when an ssh connection attempt is made to my
    system.
    When any body connects to my machine through ssh..... i want that to be
    informed through message ot sth else....
    I'm Using FC4
    if anybody has tried this out already....plz help me.....
    Thanks In Advance,

    Regards,
    Sundeep.

  2. Re: Monitor Incoming requests for ssh..?

    sundeep.kumara@wipro.com sez:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new member of this group.
    > i want to get intimated when an ssh connection attempt is made to my
    > system.
    > When any body connects to my machine through ssh..... i want that to be
    > informed through message ot sth else....
    > I'm Using FC4
    > if anybody has tried this out already....plz help me.....
    > Thanks In Advance,

    One way is to use e.g. swatch to monitor /var/log/secure.

    Dima
    --
    Double d = new Double(2.0);
    d = new Double(d.doubleValue() * d.doubleValue());

  3. Re: Monitor Incoming requests for ssh..?

    sundeep.kumara@wipro.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new member of this group.
    > i want to get intimated when an ssh connection attempt is made to my
    > system.
    > When any body connects to my machine through ssh..... i want that to be
    > informed through message ot sth else....
    > I'm Using FC4
    > if anybody has tried this out already....plz help me.....
    > Thanks In Advance,
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sundeep.

    Did you consider locking down ssh via your firewall? Personally, I
    would only allow specific known users (assuming static IPs), OR
    disabling user/password authentications and require a RSA/DSA key from
    your users and making them repeat the pass-phrase. You can then abandon
    the fear and need to monitor (imo) and be assured connections are only
    from your friends.

    --
    ---
    Jeff B (remove the No-Spam to reply)

  4. Re: Monitor Incoming requests for ssh..?

    JB> disabling user/password authentications and require a RSA/DSA key
    JB> from your users and making them repeat the pass-phrase.

    There is no way for an SSH server to make a user "repeat the passphrase."
    Passphrases are not part of the SSH protocol; they are an implementation
    aspect of private key storage on the client. There may not even be a
    passphrase. What exactly are you suggesting here?

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread