how can i disable the putty teminal window - SSH

This is a discussion on how can i disable the putty teminal window - SSH ; hi, I am new to putty. I am exploring putty to disable the terminal window. I want to just run the putty in background without opening a terminal window. I tried to see the code but i could not find ...

  1. how can i disable the putty teminal window

    hi,

    I am new to putty. I am exploring putty to disable the terminal
    window. I want to just run the putty in background without opening a
    terminal window.
    I tried to see the code but i could not find starting point where i
    can understand the source code. I mean there are many files containing
    the main(int argv,char **argc) function. I tried putting the printf()
    statements but it does not print any statements in the command line
    prompt. If any body knows pls give me suggestions.

    thanks,
    Nagesh

  2. Re: how can i disable the putty teminal window

    Nagesh writes:
    >I tried to see the code but i could not find starting point where i can
    >understand the source code. I mean there are many files containing the
    >main(int argv,char **argc) function.

    (I'm going to assume that you're referring to Windows PuTTY, since you
    don't say otherwise.)

    That's because there are several PuTTY applications. Only one file
    containing an entry point will be linked into each application.
    In general, to find out which source files are relevant to a particular
    application (such as PUTTY.EXE), you should inspect the Recipe file or
    one of the generated Makefiles. If you're using the Visual Studio
    project files, I would hope that it would provide some similar facility.

    In fact, using that method, you're not going to find the entry point for
    PUTTY.EXE, because the entry point for Windows GUI applications is
    WinMain(), not main().
    The entry point you're looking for is in windows/window.c in the PuTTY
    source. (This could be more obvious.)

    >I tried putting the printf() statements but it does not print any
    >statements in the command line prompt.

    That's probably because PUTTY.EXE is a GUI application, so there is
    nowhere for such output to go.
    If the preprocessor symbol `DEBUG' is defined, the macro `debug' defined
    in misc.h should provide useful output, by opening a new console window
    if necessary, and also logging to a file. Typical usage is
    debug(("You are here\n"));
    (note the double parentheses).

  3. Re: how can i disable the putty teminal window

    Nagesh wrote:
    > I am new to putty. I am exploring putty to disable the terminal
    > window.

    You do realize that it's the *purpose* of PuTTY to do exactly that: give
    you a terminal window? Don't you?

    > I want to just run the putty in background without opening a terminal
    > window.

    That's what plink is for.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --
    "Der Computer ist da, um zu rechnen, nicht um Ausreden wie 'Kann nicht
    durch Null teilen' auf den Bildschirm zu schreiben."

  4. Re: how can i disable the putty teminal window

    you r right absolutely. Actually i do not know about plink. After I
    seen ur reply I tried with plink. It worked without any probelm. I am
    very happy. Thanks a lot.

    Nagesh

  5. Re: how can i disable the putty teminal window

    hi,
    From "Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers" reply I realized that I can use
    plink for my requirement. I used it and succeded. I also tried ur
    suggestion( putting debug statement) for knowledge point of but I
    failed. May be i am doing some thing wrong. I do not know about Windows
    GUI applications as I am Linux user. I will read once then I willl try
    again.

    thanks a lot
    nagesh

+ Reply to Thread