why "\" turn into "W" in putty?? - SSH

This is a discussion on why "\" turn into "W" in putty?? - SSH ; In my putty when I type "\" it disply "W"!! who can tell me why? and how to change it to right? very thanks!...

  1. why "\" turn into "W" in putty??

    In my putty when I type "\" it disply "W"!! who can tell me why? and
    how to change it to right?
    very thanks!

  2. Re: why "\" turn into "W" in putty??

    "chunhui_true" writes:
    > In my putty when I type "\" it disply "W"!! who can tell me why? and
    > how to change it to right?
    > very thanks!

    Something has gone very wrong with either keymapping, termcap on the
    remote machine, selection of a keyboard in putty. You'd need to
    provide a lot more details perhaps before someone would be able to
    help. What type of keyboard are you using, what OS selections you've
    made for your keyboard, what keymap you're using in putty, OS of the
    remote system, it's language selections, then what might be going on
    in termcap there.... .

    One thing to try would be to test out SecureCRT and see if it handles
    it differently or better, and that could isolate an ssh client issue
    vs something with the server. Or, compare experiences from users of
    that same remote server, etc. These can be kinda tricky because
    there are so many possible issues in the chain.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: why "\" turn into "W" in putty??

    I use redhat in vmware which it run on windowsXP.then I use the putty
    connect to redhat.but when I use SSH Secure Shell It is very right! I
    should change wich config option in putty ?thanks. and sorry for my
    poor English.

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "chunhui_true" writes:
    > > In my putty when I type "\" it disply "W"!! who can tell me why? and
    > > how to change it to right?
    > > very thanks!

  4. Re: why "\" turn into "W" in putty??

    "chunhui_true" writes:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > "chunhui_true" writes:
    > > > In my putty when I type "\" it disply "W"!! who can tell me why? and
    > > > how to change it to right?
    > > > very thanks!

    > I use redhat in vmware which it run on windowsXP.then I use the putty
    > connect to redhat.but when I use SSH Secure Shell It is very right! I
    > should change wich config option in putty ?thanks. and sorry for my
    > poor English.

    No worries. I'm sure I can't speak your native language AT ALL. :-)

    So if you use Van Dyke SecureCRT, everything works correctly? If
    SecureCRT works, I'd say keep using it, and consider buying it. It's
    worth the money!

    But, Putty should be able to work. Play with the Terminal settings in
    putty, and try to ssh to different machines to see whether the problem
    is unique to that putty profile, or unique to your RedHat machine.

    To give you hope, I just tried one of my machines that happens to have
    a setup similar to yours: I run Gentoo Linux with Gnome and VMWare.
    In VMWare, I run Windows 2000 as a virtual machine. I just tried to
    use Putty in Windows 2000 to connect to the Gentoo linux host, And the
    backslash \ key did not give me a w. In Putty, my terminal emulation
    settings are the defaults as installed in Putty 0.55 (which I believe
    is out of date and has a security hole or two).

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: why "\" turn into "W" in putty??

    Thanks,mybe the problem is because I installed an other software name
    WinCvs.It is install a Chinese version putty.so the problem is
    appeared.but I'm not sure.

    Todd H. wrote:
    > No worries. I'm sure I can't speak your native language AT ALL. :-)

    > But, Putty should be able to work. Play with the Terminal settings in
    > putty, and try to ssh to different machines to see whether the problem
    > is unique to that putty profile, or unique to your RedHat machine.
    >
    > To give you hope, I just tried one of my machines that happens to have
    > a setup similar to yours: I run Gentoo Linux with Gnome and VMWare.
    > In VMWare, I run Windows 2000 as a virtual machine. I just tried to
    > use Putty in Windows 2000 to connect to the Gentoo linux host, And the
    > backslash \ key did not give me a w. In Putty, my terminal emulation
    > settings are the defaults as installed in Putty 0.55 (which I believe
    > is out of date and has a security hole or two).

+ Reply to Thread