Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan - SSH

This is a discussion on Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan - SSH ; Dear users Port setup via the modem-router seems OK but for unknown reason ssh into a red hat 8.0 server has stopped working via the internet. I have no idea why its happened The vendor has been unable to work ...

  1. Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan

    Dear users
    Port setup via the modem-router seems OK but for unknown reason ssh
    into a red hat 8.0 server has stopped working via the internet. I have
    no idea why its happened

    The vendor has been unable to work out the problem. Someone said to try
    the iptables file, which I've located but don't know how to check it

    Sincerely

    Michael Daly
    Melbourne

  2. Re: Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan

    MD> Dear users Port setup via the modem-router seems OK but for
    MD> unknown reason ssh into a red hat 8.0 server has stopped working
    MD> via the internet. I have no idea why its happened

    MD> The vendor has been unable to work out the problem. Someone said
    MD> to try the iptables file, which I've located but don't know how to
    MD> check it

    MD> Sincerely

    MD> Michael Daly Melbourne

    I'm afraid there is nowhere near enough detail here to help you.

    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/general...ging.auto.html

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan

    Thanks...further details:
    Server: running linux red hat version 8. Static ip 192.168.1.111. No
    firewall at all

    DSL Modem/router - Linksys wag54g with port forwarding to port 22 on
    192.168.1.111.

    DSL ip of this dsl router is also static - say 234.45.67.89 for
    arguments stake. Standard firewall setting

    Remote station: attempting to log in using putty via 234.45.67.89:22
    but getting 'fatal error . . . connection timed out'

    However locally: can use Putty via any local computer on the
    192.168.1.x network to log into the 192.168.1.111 computer either via
    192.168.1.111:22 or via 234.45.67.89:22

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > I'm afraid there is nowhere near enough detail here to help you.

  4. Re: Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan

    md@holisticgp.com.au wrote:

    > Thanks...further details:
    > Server: running linux red hat version 8. Static ip 192.168.1.111. No
    > firewall at all
    >
    > DSL Modem/router - Linksys wag54g with port forwarding to port 22 on
    > 192.168.1.111.
    >
    > DSL ip of this dsl router is also static - say 234.45.67.89 for
    > arguments stake. Standard firewall setting

    what's the release of the firmware ? i had lot of problems with port
    forwarding on my BEFW11S4, they were resolved by upgrading the firmware.

  5. Re: Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan

    Aris wrote:
    > what's the release of the firmware ? i had lot of problems with port
    > forwarding on my BEFW11S4, they were resolved by upgrading the firmware.

    Good point Aris. The modem/router is hardware version 2; the vendor
    advised he installed the latest firmware for the unit prior to purchase
    2 wks ago but I will double check. Hardware version 2 wag54g replaces
    hardware version 1.2, which didn't work very well. In fact at one stage
    a firmware downgrade was required to restore functionality in hardware
    version 1.2.

    Sincerely
    Michael

  6. Solution for Re: Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan

    Hi
    The ssh log in problem has been fixed

    The LAN gateway - 192.168.1.1 - was not set in the linux box

    This is set in the following file:
    /etc/sysconfig/network

    Then to check, at the root prompt (ie at #) type: route

    Other error messages in the /log/messages file (or maybe it was the
    /log/secure file) were:
    sshd[1381]: Could not reverse map address 192.168.1.1 ie this was a
    clue

    As this is a server computer which was never used to browse the
    internet, the problem was not evident

    Best wishes!

  7. Re: Solution for Re: Lost ability to Putty via internet, but can via lan

    md@holisticgp.com.au writes:
    > Hi
    > The ssh log in problem has been fixed
    >
    > The LAN gateway - 192.168.1.1 - was not set in the linux box
    >
    > This is set in the following file:
    > /etc/sysconfig/network
    >
    > Then to check, at the root prompt (ie at #) type: route
    >
    > Other error messages in the /log/messages file (or maybe it was the
    > /log/secure file) were:
    > sshd[1381]: Could not reverse map address 192.168.1.1 ie this was a
    > clue
    >
    > As this is a server computer which was never used to browse the
    > internet, the problem was not evident

    Thanks for posting the resolution. Indeed it wasn't an ssh issue,
    but rather a basic networking configuration issue.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread