    directory just like telnet does. Any ideas?

    Roy

  2. Re: SSH with no home directory

    On 2005-11-23, Roy wrote:
    > I have an AIX 5.1 system with Open SSH 4.2. Several users that have
    > nonexistent home directories. If I telnet in, then /.profile is
    > executed. If I use ssh then an error about the home directory appears
    > and /.profile is not executed. I know sshd is assuming the home
    > directory is therefore / because it will execute /.ssh/rc
    >
    > I would like the /.profile to be executed for people with no home
    > directory just like telnet does. Any ideas?

    Executing .profile and friends is a function of the shell not of sshd.
    I'd be looking at the shell first.

    How are you logging in via ssh? If you're running commands (eg "ssh
    yourserver foo") then you won't get a login shell, which may alter which
    startup files get read (depending on your shell).

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

+ Reply to Thread