ssh won't connect - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh won't connect - SSH ; I am trying to ssh my home machine from work. I have done this many times in the past with no problems. no the machine will not respond, I can't gain access in any form. The machine is up and ...

  1. ssh won't connect

    I am trying to ssh my home machine from work. I have done this many
    times in the past with no problems. no the machine will not respond, I
    can't gain access in any form. The machine is up and running as it
    responds to ping. Any ideas as to why this would have suddenly stopped
    working. I sort of need to access files from the machine from work so
    it would be excellent if I could resolve this before the end of the day.

  2. Re: ssh won't connect

    In comp.security.ssh feekoh :
    > I am trying to ssh my home machine from work. I have done this many
    > times in the past with no problems. no the machine will not respond, I
    > can't gain access in any form. The machine is up and running as it
    > responds to ping. Any ideas as to why this would have suddenly stopped
    > working. I sort of need to access files from the machine from work so
    > it would be excellent if I could resolve this before the end of the day.

    Doesn't sound like a ssh problem. Something (firewall) could well
    block your access at your working place or/and your ISP.

    You could try to ssh from some other system known to work to rule
    out your ISP. Make sure you are authorized to use ssh from your
    working place.

    Good luck

    BTW
    Please read this before posting anything else:

    http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google

    #bofh excuse 395: Redundant ACLs.

  3. Re: ssh won't connect

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.security.ssh feekoh :
    > > I am trying to ssh my home machine from work. I have done this many
    > > times in the past with no problems. no the machine will not respond, I
    > > can't gain access in any form. The machine is up and running as it
    > > responds to ping. Any ideas as to why this would have suddenly stopped
    > > working. I sort of need to access files from the machine from work so
    > > it would be excellent if I could resolve this before the end of the day.

    > Doesn't sound like a ssh problem. Something (firewall) could well
    > block your access at your working place or/and your ISP.
    >
    > You could try to ssh from some other system known to work to rule
    > out your ISP. Make sure you are authorized to use ssh from your
    > working place.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > BTW
    > Please read this before posting anything else:
    >
    > http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 395: Redundant ACLs.

    Thanks for the response and I agree that it probably has something to
    do with my firewall. The problem is that I cannot access it from work
    because I do not have the login and pass to change any settings. The
    only thing I didn't understand is why it suddenly decided to stop
    allowing any connections, very strange. I will try and figure out what
    the hell happened when I get home from work, but I was hoping I could
    access some of the files on the machine in the meantime. Oh well, I
    guess my boss can wait until Monday. Thanks for all your help.

  4. Re: ssh won't connect

    feekoh@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >
    >>In comp.security.ssh feekoh :
    >>Doesn't sound like a ssh problem. Something (firewall) could well
    >>block your access at your working place or/and your ISP.
    >>
    >>You could try to ssh from some other system known to work to rule
    >>out your ISP. Make sure you are authorized to use ssh from your
    >>working place.
    >>

    > Thanks for the response and I agree that it probably has something to
    > do with my firewall. The problem is that I cannot access it from work

    Maybe it is not your firewall at home but your firewall at work? You are
    not allowed to ssh home anymore in that case.

    Wolfgang

  5. Re: ssh won't connect

    > Maybe it is not your firewall at home but your firewall at work? You are
    > not allowed to ssh home anymore in that case.

    Your ISP can also stop access to common server ports, eg:
    80, 8080, 20,21,22,23, 25,

+ Reply to Thread