sftp annoyance ! - SSH

This is a discussion on sftp annoyance ! - SSH ; I cant be the only person in the world to run a number of ssh servers not on the default port (for policy and firewall reasons). with the main ssh client I can use ssh -p user@host.doma in BUT with ...

  1. sftp annoyance !

    I cant be the only person in the world to run a number of ssh servers not
    on the default port (for policy and firewall reasons).

    with the main ssh client I can use

    ssh -p user@host.domain

    BUT with sftp

    sftp -oPort= user@host.domain

    Now this sucks !!! Its difficult to remember if you haven't used sftp
    for a while and its inconsistent. Any chance one of the developers could
    think about adding -p to sftp, I know it has a "-P" option, but *nix is
    case sensitive so what the hell :-)

    Jon

  2. Re: sftp annoyance !

    Unknown wrote:

    > with the main ssh client I can use
    >
    > ssh -p user@host.domain
    >
    > BUT with sftp
    >
    > sftp -oPort= user@host.domain
    >
    > Now this sucks !!! Its difficult to remember if you haven't used sftp
    > for a while and its inconsistent. Any chance one of the developers could
    > think about adding -p to sftp, I know it has a "-P" option, but *nix is
    > case sensitive so what the hell :-)
    >
    > Jon

    Why not just add the option to .ssh/config? (Not that I don't agree with
    you, but there's a trivial fix...)

    Joachim

  3. Re: sftp annoyance !

    In article Unknown
    writes:
    >I cant be the only person in the world to run a number of ssh servers not
    >on the default port (for policy and firewall reasons).
    >
    >with the main ssh client I can use
    >
    > ssh -p user@host.domain
    >
    >BUT with sftp
    >
    > sftp -oPort= user@host.domain
    >
    >Now this sucks !!! Its difficult to remember if you haven't used sftp
    >for a while and its inconsistent. Any chance one of the developers could
    >think about adding -p to sftp, I know it has a "-P" option, but *nix is
    >case sensitive so what the hell :-)

    Well, sftp (and ssh) would still be inconsistent with scp... If you want
    consistency, you can use -oPort= for all three!:-)

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  4. Re: sftp annoyance !

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:10:59 +0000, jKILLSPAM.schipper wrote:

    > Unknown wrote:
    >
    >> with the main ssh client I can use
    >>
    >> ssh -p user@host.domain
    >>
    >> BUT with sftp
    >>
    >> sftp -oPort= user@host.domain
    >>
    >> Now this sucks !!! Its difficult to remember if you haven't used sftp
    >> for a while and its inconsistent. Any chance one of the developers could
    >> think about adding -p to sftp, I know it has a "-P" option, but *nix is
    >> case sensitive so what the hell :-)
    >>
    >> Jon

    > Why not just add the option to .ssh/config? (Not that I don't agree with
    > you, but there's a trivial fix...)

    I operate across a lot of machines, some with non standard ports, some
    using the default port. Changing the configs for the client is not clean
    and painless, just like maintaing keys its a neat idea - but in the end it
    doesn't scale.

  5. Re: sftp annoyance !

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:59:40 +0000, Per Hedeland wrote:

    > In article Unknown
    > writes:
    >>I cant be the only person in the world to run a number of ssh servers
    >>not on the default port (for policy and firewall reasons).
    >>
    >>with the main ssh client I can use
    >>
    >> ssh -p user@host.domain
    >>
    >>BUT with sftp
    >>
    >> sftp -oPort= user@host.domain
    >>
    >>Now this sucks !!! Its difficult to remember if you haven't used sftp
    >>for a while and its inconsistent. Any chance one of the developers could
    >>think about adding -p to sftp, I know it has a "-P" option, but *nix is
    >>case sensitive so what the hell :-)

    > Well, sftp (and ssh) would still be inconsistent with scp... If you want
    > consistency, you can use -oPort= for all three!:-)

    Errr .... ok, if thats the case then why did they bother to add "-p" to
    ssh client, but not the other two ?

    The documentation gives poor examples on my box, if it had consistent
    arguments and was documented in the man pages in one style only I think
    that would be a great improvement.

    IE if its going to be "-p" then make it so in the binaries and docs, if
    not then remove -p and change the docs to illustrate "-oPort=" in all
    three commands ?? ssh is confusing enough to the newcomer no need to make
    the experience worse than it needs to be !

    I miss telnet , when life was easy and real windowing systems where
    monochrome :-)

  6. Re: sftp annoyance !

    In article Unknown
    writes:
    >On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:59:40 +0000, Per Hedeland wrote:
    >
    >> In article Unknown
    >> writes:
    >>>I cant be the only person in the world to run a number of ssh servers
    >>>not on the default port (for policy and firewall reasons).
    >>>
    >>>with the main ssh client I can use
    >>>
    >>> ssh -p user@host.domain
    >>>
    >>>BUT with sftp
    >>>
    >>> sftp -oPort= user@host.domain
    >>>
    >>>Now this sucks !!! Its difficult to remember if you haven't used sftp
    >>>for a while and its inconsistent. Any chance one of the developers could
    >>>think about adding -p to sftp, I know it has a "-P" option, but *nix is
    >>>case sensitive so what the hell :-)

    >> Well, sftp (and ssh) would still be inconsistent with scp... If you want
    >> consistency, you can use -oPort= for all three!:-)

    >Errr .... ok, if thats the case then why did they bother to add "-p" to
    >ssh client, but not the other two ?

    Don't ask me:-) - but the meaning of -p with scp is for compatibility
    with (r)cp, so it got -P for port instead. I can't see any particular
    reason to *not* give sftp -p for port, I'm just saying that everything
    wouldn't be compatible even if that was done.:-)

    >The documentation gives poor examples on my box, if it had consistent
    >arguments and was documented in the man pages in one style only I think
    >that would be a great improvement.

    I find the man pages shipped with OpenSSH excellent, but examples are
    rarely the strong point of man pages in general. Hm, the one saying to
    use -oPort=24 in the sftp man page is about the only example there is in
    all of the ssh/scp/sftp pages combined, so it seems the "examples" are
    exactly what you need.:-)

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

+ Reply to Thread